Series IIa with a Chevy 250... Cooling?

Dashface

Hi guys, I'm new on here, as you can see.

I'm a student in Canada, and I've just managed to get my hands on a '61 Series IIa 109 Station Wagon. It's certainly not in driveable shape at this point, so I'll be asking a lot of questions, I'm sure :)

Anyway, it appears that the previous owner put a Chevy 250 in there (a straight six), and I was wondering if the original Series rad and fan etc is going to be up to snuff, or if I'm going to have to put something else in there... And if so, what?

Thanks for the help, guys!

It depends on your setup - if the rad is in good nick and the engine doesn't kick out too much heat / get easily upset then it might be fine. Or, it might not... Also depends on if you'll be seeing mud or not, over here an open-cored rad is very much a requirement to prevent blockage, if you're just driving dusty tracks & crawlin' up nice clean rocks then you might get away with something more car-like and efficient.

If you remove all the cowling from the back of the radiator panel you can fit a much bigger rad in there - trawling the scrapyard with a tape measure is one option, or buying something off-the-shelf / having one custom-made is another.

Hi Dashface,

just to add to what Fridge said cowling around the fan with what ever rad you end up with is worth getting right as enclosing the engine fan gets the most efficient vol of air thro the fan and rad.

Welcome to the forum btw, and good choice 109 stationwagons are the best......i might be biased tho :D

heres a couple of pics of mine

cheers

Steveb

post-1339-1187713530_thumb.jpg

post-1339-1187713574_thumb.jpg

Hi Dashface,

just to add to what Fridge said cowling around the fan with what ever rad you end up with is worth getting right as enclosing the engine fan gets the most efficient vol of air thro the fan and rad.

Welcome to the forum btw, and good choice 109 stationwagons are the best......i might be biased tho :D

heres a couple of pics of mine

cheers

Steveb

It's a bit difficult to see the fan shrouding in those pics Steve, but I agree with the often overlooked importance of a good shroud. When I moved my radiator forward 4'' on my 2 1/4 in preparation for fitting a 2speed splitter box the coolant temperature would get well into the red zone, but after fabricating a good shroud it has returned to running a little on the cool side, so now in winter I blank off 50% of the radiator so that the engine retains enough heat for the windscreen demister to work.

Bill.

Thanks for the replies guys! I'm very new to this, and she's not up and running yet - so perhaps I'll have to see how it goes. To be quite honest I'm not even sure about everything that's wrong yet :D That being said, I did clean out the inside today (I know, blasphemy!) and she actually looks like a truck now, instead of a rolling scrap heap :)

To answer the above, I'll be using her pretty much as a daily driver for a while when I get her running, so not a lot of hard weather or mud and things... But I am right on the ocean, so it's very wet all the time.

Since we're sharing piccies, here's my rad setup (efficiency is improved further by removing it from the kitchen floor and putting it in the vehicle):

post-21-1187736154_thumb.jpg

As you can see, fins and cores are quite widely spaced to let mud through. Fans are from an Audi of some description.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi guys, I'm new on here, as you can see.

I'm a student in Canada, and I've just managed to get my hands on a '61 Series IIa 109 Station Wagon. It's certainly not in driveable shape at this point, so I'll be asking a lot of questions, I'm sure :)

Anyway, it appears that the previous owner put a Chevy 250 in there (a straight six), and I was wondering if the original Series rad and fan etc is going to be up to snuff, or if I'm going to have to put something else in there... And if so, what?

Thanks for the help, guys!

Fortunately the Chev 250 is not a hard engine to cool and most of the conversions I've seen have kept the original rad. As others have said the fan shroud is very important.

John