Tracking

chadler

After an advisory on the MOT to sort out a track rod end, i did just that, after handily managing to get the TRE's at Sodbury. I did both ends of the track rod as it seemed silly not to. Despite counting threads and suchlike before removing and fitting the new ones it still crabbed badly on the road, so I scoured this and the old forum for help, and found the magic number for the factory neutral setting of the track rod of 1230mm, and set it to that. This seemed to be a pretty good measurement, and the car drove normally, but since steering isn't the thing to take chances on, and I couldn't be sure that the tyres weren't scrubbing, I took it in to the local garage to get the geometry checked, this is what they produced, the engineer said "thats as close as i could get it". So, do all of these numbers look healthy? And why isn't it possible to get the steering any closer to perfect than "as close as i could get it?"

Its a 1987 LR 90 btw

Tracking.jpg

I was impressed with the garage service, and the car seems to drive perfectly well now, so i'm not worried that something is wrong, just intrigued really as to how all these fancy rods and angles affect things. EDUCATE ME PLEASE!

After an advisory on the MOT to sort out a track rod end, i did just that, after handily managing to get the TRE's at Sodbury. I did both ends of the track rod as it seemed silly not to. Despite counting threads and suchlike before removing and fitting the new ones it still crabbed badly on the road, so I scoured this and the old forum for help, and found the magic number for the factory neutral setting of the track rod of 1230mm, and set it to that. This seemed to be a pretty good measurement, and the car drove normally, but since steering isn't the thing to take chances on, and I couldn't be sure that the tyres weren't scrubbing, I took it in to the local garage to get the geometry checked, this is what they produced, the engineer said "thats as close as i could get it". So, do all of these numbers look healthy? And why isn't it possible to get the steering any closer to perfect than "as close as i could get it?"

Its a 1987 LR 90 btw

Tracking.jpg

I was impressed with the garage service, and the car seems to drive perfectly well now, so i'm not worried that something is wrong, just intrigued really as to how all these fancy rods and angles affect things. EDUCATE ME PLEASE!

The answer is 42.

There's nothing else you need to know....

?????? On a 90, the only thing you can adjust is the Toe. It looks like they changed castor and camber, which is not possible.

I would be asking what they did. You can do the Toe adjustment yourself, very simple.

Castor is usually low due to a lift. There are fixes but that involves modification.

Camber can only change if the axle is bent.