300 in 90

djlee

check the tech archive for the 200Tdi into a 90 thread, as the 300Tdi is very similar most of the info will be useful, if your using the matching R380 with the longer bell housing gearbox, this will make the engine sit further forward & above the front axle as per standard factory built 300Tdi/R380 vehicles.

Guest diesel_jim

I've built a couple of 300Tdi's and"rebuilt" a V8/200Tdi (Was what was left of the two) into a 300Tdi.

You'll need to weld in a couple of engine mounts, easy job. then with the aid of the proper 300Tdi gearbox crossmember, the gearbox mounts onto it. drop the engine in, thats the heavy items out of the way.

you'll need 300Tdi propshafts, front and rear, and the transmission tunnel and floor plates (this is all if you're doing "factory" wise)

300Tdi radiator and intercooler, just slots into the same place where the TD radiator was.

electrics are easy.... if you remove the wiring loom from your TD, you can graft it onto the Tdi (there are the same number of connections, that is: oil pressure, alternator charge, water temp, FIP solenoid feed... a couple of the wires may need extending a little, no bother though). you'll also need to extend the starter motor cable to the battery.

you should be able to graft the 300Tdi downpipe onto the old TD system.

thats about it.

not wanting to hijack this thread, but i'm selling a complete 300Tdi and gearbox from my 90

It'll also include a complete freeflow-ish exhaust system

While on the same theme and with a little more thrown in the mix for good measure, can any of you help me out on a few Q's.

How does a 300tdi gearbox cross member differ from a 200tdi one?

Is it advisable to use 300tdi pro shafts front and rear when fitting a 300tdi and R380 gearbox into a 110?

I have asked this as I am about to fit a 300tdi and R380 gearbox into a Defender 110 that had a 200tdi in there.

Oh, and the front axle is being replaced with a unit from a 96 disco, am I ok with using the 200tdi prop shaft there too?

At the moment its a big puzzle and big expense and I hope it will be all worth while and give many miles of oil leaking enjoyment heh heh.

RB

Guest diesel_jim
While on the same theme and with a little more thrown in the mix for good measure, can any of you help me out on a few Q's.

How does a 300tdi gearbox cross member differ from a 200tdi one?

Is it advisable to use 300tdi pro shafts front and rear when fitting a 300tdi and R380 gearbox into a 110?

I have asked this as I am about to fit a 300tdi and R380 gearbox into a Defender 110 that had a 200tdi in there.

Oh, and the front axle is being replaced with a unit from a 96 disco, am I ok with using the 200tdi prop shaft there too?

At the moment its a big puzzle and big expense and I hope it will be all worth while and give many miles of oil leaking enjoyment heh heh.

RB

300Tdi crossmember is "square" and the gearbox sits on it.

200 one is tubular, and the gearbox bolts directly onto the chassis rails.

the 300 propshafts are the same as the V8 with LT85 5 speed box, so you can use those. not sure about Td5 ones, got to measure them.

the front axle won't make any difference to the propshaft, as the diffs are the same size, the only problem would occur if you fitted either a salisbury axle or a new disco2/rangie P38 type axle, as the diffs are slightly shorter (i think)

300Tdi crossmember is "square" and the gearbox sits on it.

200 one is tubular, and the gearbox bolts directly onto the chassis rails.

the 300 propshafts are the same as the V8 with LT85 5 speed box, so you can use those. not sure about Td5 ones, got to measure them.

the front axle won't make any difference to the propshaft, as the diffs are the same size, the only problem would occur if you fitted either a salisbury axle or a new disco2/rangie P38 type axle, as the diffs are slightly shorter (i think)

Thanks for the reply Diesel_jim.

I looked and trawled around a little and found a guy who did put a 300tdi into a 200tdi defender and he says you can use all the 200tdi bits including prop shafts and gearbox mounts. It means the position of the 300tdi engine is not as factory fitted and moves it 1 to 2 inches further back. I really dont want to buy new prop shafts and gearbox cross member if I can avoid it. Its a money pit as it is and I need money for beer....er fuel :)

I can get a gearbox cross member from a disco, that originally had the 300tdi engine I bought. Prolly wont cost me anything, but prop shafts would and then there is the mods to the seat box and tunnel. Its a lot of extra work for getting it to look factory. The 110 is going to get a total rebuild this winter so I dont mind doing it once and doing it right and have it safe of course.

Thanks again fella,

RB

I've built a couple of 300Tdi's and"rebuilt" a V8/200Tdi (Was what was left of the two) into a 300Tdi.

You'll need to weld in a couple of engine mounts, easy job. then with the aid of the proper 300Tdi gearbox crossmember, the gearbox mounts onto it. drop the engine in, thats the heavy items out of the way.

you'll need 300Tdi propshafts, front and rear, and the transmission tunnel and floor plates (this is all if you're doing "factory" wise)

300Tdi radiator and intercooler, just slots into the same place where the TD radiator was.

electrics are easy.... if you remove the wiring loom from your TD, you can graft it onto the Tdi (there are the same number of connections, that is: oil pressure, alternator charge, water temp, FIP solenoid feed... a couple of the wires may need extending a little, no bother though). you'll also need to extend the starter motor cable to the battery.

you should be able to graft the 300Tdi downpipe onto the old TD system.

thats about it.

not wanting to hijack this thread, but i'm selling a complete 300Tdi and gearbox from my 90

It'll also include a complete freeflow-ish exhaust system

thanks for the info. you mentioned that i would have to weld a couple of engine mounts but how far back should i weld them and also i have a full 300 tdi defender which i am stripping down so should i just grind the engine mounts of the 300 and put them on my 90?

When I went fro V8 to 200TDI I fitted the g/box in place using the existing mounts. Cut the old V8 stuff off and I purchased some new engine mounts. Fitted the engine to the box and the the mounts to the engine. Tack welded the mounts, remove engine and weld up the mounts properly. That way they will be in the correct position for your engine/box combo.

HTH

Guest diesel_jim
thanks for the info. you mentioned that i would have to weld a couple of engine mounts but how far back should i weld them and also i have a full 300 tdi defender which i am stripping down so should i just grind the engine mounts of the 300 and put them on my 90?

PM me your email, i can send you a bunch of photo's i took with the factory positions on them.

also search for the thread Mr wuffles posted with the dimensions on...

actually, here it is:

post-130-1189012364_thumb.jpg