defender t-box into a disco...

Mark

Today I am mostly trying to fit a defender transfer box into my discovery...

All was going swimmingly until one comes to actually remove the old transfer box, as there isn't quite enough room to get the transfer box off the outputshaft from the main gearbox before it hits the floor at the back....

This was resolved by removing the cover on the back of the trnasfer box to give that all inportant couple of mm clearence. so, question 1 is... Why does the output shaft of the gearbox have an inch of thread on the end after the splines? Noting is attached to it, and to my mind it just makes the shaft half an inch too long... Therefore, question 2... Can I just cut the threaded bit off? seems a bit animal but it will make putting the new trnsfer box in so much easier.

Next slight confusion is the high/low actuator; and how it is 90 degrees different on a defender. Do I need to just swap the shaft over or change the whole housing from the disco box onto the defender one?

any help appreciated.. :)

Cheers

Mark

I'm just in the process of doing the opposite (Disco transbox into Defender), I'm guessing the threaded end on the gearbox output shaft is for P.T.O attachments?! As for the High/Low actuator-I used a collection of parts from both boxes as there are a few slight differences.

>The High/Low stick on a Def is straight, Disco is slightly cranked

>Disco uses a different inner gaitor and fixing plate

>My Def trans box was an early one so I had the change the complete linkage inc pivots over to the disco type

>Handbrake linkage and mountings are different-Haven't done that bit yet(2moro's job)

Hope thats of some help

Chees Mike

Today I am mostly trying to fit a defender transfer box into my discovery...

All was going swimmingly until one comes to actually remove the old transfer box, as there isn't quite enough room to get the transfer box off the outputshaft from the main gearbox before it hits the floor at the back....

This was resolved by removing the cover on the back of the trnasfer box to give that all inportant couple of mm clearence. so, question 1 is... Why does the output shaft of the gearbox have an inch of thread on the end after the splines? Noting is attached to it, and to my mind it just makes the shaft half an inch too long... Therefore, question 2... Can I just cut the threaded bit off? seems a bit animal but it will make putting the new trnsfer box in so much easier.

Next slight confusion is the high/low actuator; and how it is 90 degrees different on a defender. Do I need to just swap the shaft over or change the whole housing from the disco box onto the defender one?

any help appreciated.. :)

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark,

I believe the threaded bit on the end is a throwback to the LT77 origins as a rear wheel drive car and van gearbox. Instead of a transfer box, a tailshaft housing was fitted and the thread was used to hold the output drive flange on. You can cut it off as it doesn't serve any purpose in this application, though some gearbox reconditioners may not accept the gearbox as an exchange unit.

It isn't used to hold anything in a PTO unit as far as I know, and I am pretty sure that the R380 doesn't have the threaded bit, but uses the same LT230 transfer and PTO units.

Regards,

Diff

By the sounds of it I had best not chop the end off the shaft - the box needs replacing before too long, and I would like to keep the option of sending it to dave in return for a shiney recon one. It's unlikely, but I'd like to keep the option......

The main thing I need to do now, is to figure out the Hi/Lo selector:

Disco Transfer box Hi/Lo selector mech:

med_gallery_92_352_59497.jpg

Defender Transfer box Hi/Lo Selector Mech:

med_gallery_92_352_126073.jpg

Do i just unbolt the housing from the disco box, and bolt it on to the defender one, or can I rotate the actuating shaft inside the housing? I guess I'll know more when i get them apart, but i thought i would consult the collective beforehand...

Cheers

Mark