Winch pto unit

Steve_M

Does anyone know if there is a difference between the pto unit required for a 4 and 6 cylinder vehicle? I have just got a fairey pto winch setup from a 6 cylinder and have just tried to fit it to a 4 cylinder series but can't see how it will engage as the section of the pto that the engagement gear slides along doesn't appear to be long enough to allow connection with the gear in the transfer box. Am I missng something obvious or do I need a different pto unit?

Thanks,

Steve

As far as I know, there should be no difference based on 6/4 cyl engine. But there is a difference based on transfer case. Do you know whether the 6 pot that this unit came from was equipped with a 1 ton transfer case ? If so, the PTO will not work with a standard t-case. One way to tell may be to check whether the PTO is helical cut or straight cut. I believe the 1 Ton units are helical cut.

Steve,

Don't forget that you also have the Ashcroft High Ratio transfer box kit installed (at least it did when you bought it ;) ). don't know if that makes any difference, but it's worth keeping in mind.

Cheers

Mark

As far as I know, there should be no difference based on 6/4 cyl engine. But there is a difference based on transfer case. Do you know whether the 6 pot that this unit came from was equipped with a 1 ton transfer case ? If so, the PTO will not work with a standard t-case. One way to tell may be to check whether the PTO is helical cut or straight cut. I believe the 1 Ton units are helical cut.

RPR,

Thanks for the relpy, I am not sure if it was orginally fitted to a 1 ton transfer case but the pto section is straight cut, it just appears to be too short by somewhere in the region of an inch. Do you know if the a standard 6 cylinder (ie not 1 ton) is the same as the transfer cas fitted to a 4 cylinder?

Steve

RPR,

Thanks for the relpy, I am not sure if it was orginally fitted to a 1 ton transfer case but the pto section is straight cut, it just appears to be too short by somewhere in the region of an inch. Do you know if the a standard 6 cylinder (ie not 1 ton) is the same as the transfer cas fitted to a 4 cylinder?

Steve

If you have the same t-box that had a high ratio conversion, then it's not a 1 Ton box. As far as I am aware, there are only the "standard" t-box, as fitted to all 4 cyl and most 6cyl Series and the 1 ton box only fitted to the 1 Ton 109. I don't want to be definite about the straight cut/helical cut differentiation, but it does seem to stick in my memory. I suppose you can't just ask the bloke you got it from whether it came off a 1 ton box or you would have done that.

If it's not a 1 ton vs. standard problem, then I'm stumped. This may be one for Uncle Bill. If he doesn't know, we're in trouble...

If its a 1 ton t/box the sliding engagement ring will be m/ced back on one side of the groove that the selector fork goes into.....if its a std t/box the sliding eng. ring will have the same amount of metal either side of the selector groove.

Also on the 1 ton the main shaft of the pto will be a similar amount shorter

HTH

Cheers

Steveb

Richard is on the right track. It sounds like you have a PTO unit off a 1 ton or Forward Control transfercase. The mainshaft gear on these all helical t/cases is mounted further back about 40 mm or so, that's why the sliding dog clutch won't reach the mainshaft gear on your normal transfercase. The mainshaft tail support bearing inside the forward end of the 1 ton PTO shaft is also a larger diameter than the tail support bearing for the normal helical and spur transfercase. High ratio conversions are normal with regards PTO fitment.

Bill.

Thanks for the replies, it looks as though I will need to find a different pto unit as from what everyone has said it does look as though I have a unit to suit a 1 ton transfer box. The winch is going on my 109 rather than the lightweight so it has the standard box rather than the Ashcrofts high ratio box Mark mentioned (although from Bill's comments this shouldn't make any difference).

Thanks again,

Steve

• 4 weeks later...