Speeds - speedo vs SatNav

Has anyone noticed this before or is is (another) unique feature of The Beastie.

Driving daughter back to uni at Aberdeen yesterday I needed SatNav to locate her flat and left it on again to find my way out. Half way home I stopped for a coffee and tinkered with the settings to show my speed.

What I found was that the SatNav (TomTom) was consistently putting my speed about 10% below the speed shown on the speedometer.

Is this usual, or is SatNav speed not to be trusted or is my speedometer not calibrated.

So far as I know I have standard wheels and tyres.

If SatNav is right then I am cool with it since gives me nice safety allowance on speed cameras, although I am bombproof on 70mph camera :rolleyes: since according to SatNav I only just hit 70 going downhill with big wind behind!!

Anybody else experienced this discrepancy?

Malcy

Ah - that is perhaps why long journeys always seem to take longer than expected.

And also perhaps why I get overtaken so often.

Never mind though - I get to see the countryside :P !

Thanks

BTW western - were you on holiday? Noticed a long absence of your posts and hoped all was well

Malcy

GPS is more accurate that a non calibrated Speedo.

If you do a search, there's been a previous post on this, GPS works on averaging distance over time, certain GPS units consider all three planes, others, only two, so speed with a vertical component can be inaccurate. Still, a GPS is still going to be more accurate than a LR speedo.

I use my GPS speedo, all the time.

Ah - that is perhaps why long journeys always seem to take longer than expected.

And also perhaps why I get overtaken so often.

Never mind though - I get to see the countryside :P !

Thanks

BTW western - were you on holiday? Noticed a long absence of your posts and hoped all was well

Malcy

sort of a working holiday @ Greenbelt Festival on the Fire & Rescue team, I'm Deputy of the Fire Support team. didn't have my laptop with me so couldn't get on-line to pop in here. had a good time not to busy with incidents, 2 lock outs from cars & 3 jump starts plus keeping the 4x4 fire vehicles on duty & fully upto spec, got in a visit to Glouscestershire Fire control one evening, very interesting, hopefully next year we can arrange a visit to the central workshops.