Sankey towing question

weasel_110

Hi Chaps!

I have had a look on the forums but cant pin this down...

I have a Sankey Narrow track, Fixed back trailer which I have just bought,

and I'm not sure whether I have to have the tow jaw rotating or not?

The trailer eye does rotate about 20º either side of horizontal, but would you class this as

a rotating hitch?

Anyone clear this up for me?

Cheers

Gary

Your eye should rotate all the way round, if t was a fixed one, it wouldn't rotate at all. Free it off and keep the hitch locked. You tend to get fixed eyes on bigger trailers but can vary even between same types (rapier launchers and trackers can have either) If you don't have the hook rotating on a fixed eye , the trailer could flip the tow vehicle.

• 3 months later...

But dont have them BOTH rotating as thats just as bad!

There should be a warning plate on the top of the damper that says 'warning fixed eye - prime mover pintle must be free to rotate' Have a dig at the paint to see if it's under there. I may even have a spare one lying about in case someone borrows your trailer and forgets..... Reason I say that is it may be possible to get a sankey with a fixed eye - there have been so many different dampers put on them over the years its hard to keep track........

• 5 weeks later...
But dont have them BOTH rotating as thats just as bad!

There should be a warning plate on the top of the damper that says 'warning fixed eye - prime mover pintle must be free to rotate' Have a dig at the paint to see if it's under there. I may even have a spare one lying about in case someone borrows your trailer and forgets..... Reason I say that is it may be possible to get a sankey with a fixed eye - there have been so many different dampers put on them over the years its hard to keep track........

I have just bought a Wolf type wide track, this has a fixed towing eye.

From what I am being told ALL wide track Sankeys have the fixed eye, meaning the vehicle hitch must be the rotating type.

Hope that helps.