Attaching Winch Rope

Paul

What has everyone else done? For wire rope the Warns have a small grub screw on the side (rope side) of the drum, used for attaching the rope with a crimped-on lug. I'm replacing the wire rope with synthetic so do I:

a ) crimp another lug on it and use the grub screw again (not so keen on this as the lug will stick out into the spool of rope a fair way and they do tend to be sharp around the edges);

b ) tie the rope on to the drum with a bowline or similar knot (read this as being the best idea on Pirate but I'm not keen due to the lumpiness of the knot);

c ) just use some duct tape to hold the end on the drum until the first few wraps are on (also read this on Pirate as being the best idea for synthetic rope); or

d ) some other bright idea that you lot can dream up.:D

My best solution is to tie it on (with a bowline or similar knot) then stick some gaffer tape over it.

This way, the tape will provide sufficient grip to wind the rope on, but if you should, particularly while lowering, run out of rope, worst case you will just be left dangling off the end of the rope rather than falling to an untimely death!

Si