PAS Box leak from Nutt? 200tdi 90

had fluid weeing out from the large nutt in the centre, im thinking this is just the bleed?, i found it to be loose so i tightened it up and it stopped the leak but needed a lot of force to get it tight enough to cure it. ive only recently got this 90 so dont no if its an on going fault with it coming loose but there is signs of it leaking in the past.

should there be a copper washer etc on it, or can i unscrew it completly and put some PTFE tape on the thread?

a1-89.jpg

cheers

Just got my first Land Rover yesterday (1993, 90, truck-cab, rover v8) and it was fine when I bought it. However, after a 200mile drive home, I awoke this morning to find fluid dripping of my PAS box as well. Thing is, the lock-washer is still folded over so it can't be that the nut has loosened. Will try to get a pic later, but would be grateful for any advice. Previous owner reckons he didn't have this problem, and I'm inclined to believe him as we were very scrupulous for leaks (and tell-tale marks on driveway) for same.

If the nut hasn't loosened, would it be likely that the seal has gone in so short a time (200mile, it was a deafening 4-hour drive...).

Thanks

Do you mean the nut on the underside of the steering box where it connects to the steering rod? They do suddenly start to weep a bit, which gradually gets worse. If the leak isn't too bad try putting a tablespoon of brake fluid in the reservoir. The rubber seal swells up when exposed to brake fluid and tightens it's grip on the shaft a small amount. Sometimes this stops the leak for ages and sometimes not very long. You can replace the seals, and there's a kit avauilable to do this, but it's a pig of a job.

Les.

Do you mean the nut on the underside of the steering box where it connects to the steering rod? They do suddenly start to weep a bit, which gradually gets worse. If the leak isn't too bad try putting a tablespoon of brake fluid in the reservoir. The rubber seal swells up when exposed to brake fluid and tightens it's grip on the shaft a small amount. Sometimes this stops the leak for ages and sometimes not very long. You can replace the seals, and there's a kit avauilable to do this, but it's a pig of a job.

Les.

Thanks Les, that's the one alright. I'll try the brake fluid trick and keep my fingers crossed. Like I say, there wasn't any sign of weeping before I drove off, but as I appear to have done half the amount of miles the previous owner did in just one entire trip, it's maybe that it's been sitting for ages and not doing much - and my sudden adventure perhaps pushed it over the edge.

Unfortunately, this appears to be only one of a few places this new purchase has developed sudden leaks. I'll post back when I know more tomorrow, after a trip to a friendly mechanic. Nearside exhaust sizzling due to fluid leak as well, and there appear to be some pretty large drops around the gearbox/transfer box area. Engine lower seems a bit weepy, but I think that's just what blew off the steering box as I was driving (I hope).

My other suspicion is that the offenhauser/holley isn't correctly mounted on the v8 block - previous owner said it was a pig of a job and there appears to be a fair bit of liquid gasket hovering about, perhaps that's leaking a bit. Oh, and the exhaust/manifold join appears ropey and it's blowing a bit there. Odd, given that it got an MOT just a few days before sale.

Any idea of how long a seal-replacement might take? Kits seem to be available for around a tenner in the LR mags (if that is indeed what I need), but the garage hourly rate is likely to be the kicker of course.

Oh, and I need a hub seal kit for front offside as well as there's grease all over the place.

New-to-LR-satisfaction rating at the moment is a pretty lowly 2/10... Hopefully that'll pick up soon. Failing that, LR for sale, LR for sale... :P

there appear to be some pretty large drops around the gearbox/transfer box area.

This is pretty common. Could be, among other things, the seal on the transfer rear output, leaking oil into the handbrake.

Oh, and I need a hub seal kit for front offside as well as there's grease all over the place.

Is it the seal on the chrome swivel ball, or so you have a leak onto the brake disk? Either way, the seals are cheap, and both jobs are easy enough. If it's the swivel seal, a bodge that seems to work well, is to cut the seal to fit it over the ball, rather than pulling the entire swivel assembly.

New-to-LR-satisfaction rating at the moment is a pretty lowly 2/10... Hopefully that'll pick up soon. Failing that, LR for sale, LR for sale... :P

part of the satisfaction is fixing all the leaky seals and other niggles yourself. On a truck of that age, if you are going to your local mechanic for every little thing that needs fixed, well, that might not be so much fun.

Part of the satisfaction is fixing all the leaky seals and other niggles yourself. On a truck of that age, if you are going to your local mechanic for every little thing that needs fixed, well, that might not be so much fun.

Thanks Gromit. Haynes manual already purchased and scanned over. The mechanic is a mate of mine who got me into this off-roading lark, so I'm not quite turning-it-over completely (yet). I intend to have a fiddle around myself, but just wanted an expert-eye to tell me what's what before I start breaking things...

:)