GMC 6.2 woes.........

gelf

Im borrowing a E reg 90 at the moment fitted with a 6.2 V8 diesel lump and LT77 box.

The owner has only just bought it and ive never driven a 90 with one of these in it.....................

Basicly im extremely disapointed by it..... very very noisy, and seems to be out of puff at 60mph.

Is this the norm with this engine or has he bought a pup? :huh:

How much does it smoke?

My neighbour has a cadillac with a similar lump in it, his belches smoke like no ones business when it goes. he has to turn the pump right down to get it through an MOT. so much so that here in Sheffield he has to take a specific route to get to the MOT station without going up any steep hills.

I had 1 in a vehicle that weighed 2.5X what a 90 weighs and it aquitted itself quite well, without any smoke. Sounds to me like its a bit poorly as it wasn't what I would call noisey either. It would do over 70 aswell probably would have gone faster if I wanted. What tcase has it got?

Gaza

standard 90 t/box........... to be honest when i say noisy, i dont banging from the engine etc...... just noisy. engine sounds fairly sweet for a diesel.

perhaps its just me, expecting it to be something really special....... when in fact theyre not.

Shouldn't that engine have somewhat around 200bhp? A friend of mine is currently planning to install one into is 90 and it seems as it's not that easy to install even though it fits perfectly.

I would rather prefer the TD version wih abou 300bhp, though ;)

So long, Oily

I have a 6.5 GMC V.8 in a RRC and that is not noisy apart from the fact you can tell there is some thing under the bonnet with a bit of humph, a bit like listening to a well tuned 4.2. From inside its no more noisy than a tdi.

Pulls well from start to finish and ok top end.

I have the 6.2 in my RRC running with the standard ZF auto and performance has been brilliant. 168bhp in standard form, in the US they have tuned it to over 450bhp. However at 168bhp it is never straining and just keeps pulling. Even with 34" Simex mine will do 90mph and cruise all day at 80mph, which I did this summer from Barnsley to Newquay.

It seems to be a shy engine as the harder mine works the more smoke is produced, but once warm it produces very little.

I had major problems in the early days with starting it when warm, even with the high torque starter fitted. So with much shielding and wrap etc it now seems to have been rectified. Why put it next to the manifold outlet which makes the bushes inside the starter expand??

This aside, I am more than happy and as a recovery vehicle, the torque makes it awesome.

If yours is really smokey have you managed to check the tensioers on the timing chain? These are renowed for failing and causing poor performance. Try www.gm-diesel.com these guys eat sleep and breathe em!

BB...