Fuel Gauge

1993 Defender 200tdi: Travelling back from work today I noticed that my fuel gauge was reading zero and the empty light was illuminated. The needle flickered about a bit but for all intents and purposes it flat-lined. The tank was filled the day before yesterday so I know that there is fuel in it. I have a reserve fuel tank under the passenger seat (around 25 litres) and when I switch over, the fuel gauge automatically reads whatever is in the reserve tank. The gauge seems to function corretly when the reserve tank is in use but as soon as I switch back to the main tank the needle drops to zero. I have checked all of the accessible terminals and they seem fine. Is this a case of a dogey sender unit? How easy is it to change and about how much do they cost?

Thanks

Ged

Is this a case of a dogey sender unit? How easy is it to change and about how much do they cost?

Sender are about 30 quid stg from paddocks. I can't remember exactly, but I think the sender is obstructed by the LH chassis rail - so it's a tank out job, and a mucky job that is too :(

Maybe someone could give you some resistances to check at the sender to confirm, before you pull it. Worst case I can measure mine, should be the same as yours, but won't be able to do that till probably Wednesday.

fuel gauge was reading zero and the empty light was illuminated. The needle flickered about a bit but for all intents and purposes it flat-lined.

Just thinking about it, I suppose the float could have fallen off the end of the sender or filled with diesel. Would probably give your symptoms. Don't suppose you hear the float kicking about in there do you?

If you can get the floor up, you could open the spill return feed on top of the tank and have a goo.