Portasol tip cleaning - Advice needed please...

ThreeSheds

Hi,

Having struggled trying to solder fuel pump wires with my trusty (30 years old!) 25 watt mains iron, I finally cracked and bought a Portasol. Brilliant tool! Love it to bits. Did the job in 2 minutes... :D :D :D

Unfortunately the next time I used it I forgot it was on and left it running full pelt until the gas ran out. This appears to have turned my lovely tinned tip into a dark grey thing that won't wet at all! :(

I have a tin of flux that I normally use in conjunction with cored solder but I just can't get the tip clean.

Any advice would be welcome!

Cheers

Roger

Hi,

Having struggled trying to solder fuel pump wires with my trusty (30 years old!) 25 watt mains iron, I finally cracked and bought a Portasol. Brilliant tool! Love it to bits. Did the job in 2 minutes... :D :D :D

Unfortunately the next time I used it I forgot it was on and left it running full pelt until the gas ran out. This appears to have turned my lovely tinned tip into a dark grey thing that won't wet at all! :(

I have a tin of flux that I normally use in conjunction with cored solder but I just can't get the tip clean.

Any advice would be welcome!

Cheers

Roger

Give it a bit of a file 9preferably just the tip where you are soldering) then re tin it with a bit of solder. I use soldering irons at work & this is what I do.

Gaza

What he said ^^^ but be very gentle, some fine emery paper may be a first resort. Once you start attacking tips with things they go downhill more rapidly.

I have a "tip cleaner tinner" from maplins, cost about £5, it's a tiny little thing (about the diameter of a 50p) with what seems to be a mixture of solder, flux, and a mild abrasive - you wipe the iron on it as you would the sponge and it cleans and tins very nicely.

jg06g.jpg