Which Mig Welder?

Will

Portamigs get overlooked because

A) They're relatively unheard of.

B) They are no-nonsense - sheet metal case, no graphics, no plastic moulding, no LEDs.

C) There's no bolt-on Neon or Spinners kit (currently) available.

What you get for your money is (as already has been said) a british built welder with decent components (wire feed motor is akin to a coke can) and very good service. They come with a euro torch, regulator, and if Steve is feeling nice, gloves, spare tips, shrouds etc (ok they're not expensive, not the point).

I not an experienced welder, i've taught myself, and i'm still learning (a lot), but the portamig is the nicest mig i've used so far.

You seem to be contradicting yourself Nige. :P

Does seem good value though.

I do have to ask why we are covering this question AGAIN, surely a search would have found several recent threads full of opinions. (No, I can't be ar*ed to search it myself :angry: )

:lol:

Hmmmmm :huh:

Bit odd that !

I have a mate who bought one of these, I used it to both teach him and weld up his cage, which I did sort of non stop as it had been tacked.

Take your point Nick, but I can only say it was a very nice quality bit of kit.

It may be that with the cagework, there was more stop and start than I relised, but it never tripped out and laid down nice welds. the 3 yrs warranty is nice, the knobs (ooer) smotth and the whole thing smacked of quality for the price, the duty cycle is lower than I would have said I thought it was / felt if you know what I mean, I was welding a mix of 6mm plate to both blue band 3.2mm wall and red band Erm Thicker maybe 4.something for around 3 hours.....

Strange......but for the money I would still say tough to beat ???

Nige