Broken Circlips - Help!

Fish13

Hi,

Trying to change my propshaft UJ's today and after about 5 hours suceeded in getting one done! I don't think they ever been replaced.

My problem is in trying to remove the cirlcips, the 'eye's broke off so most of the circlip is still in the groove, but the eyes aren't there to grip it?

How can I get the piece out?

Not enough to grip with needle nosed pliers and it's really p*ssing me off!

Help......

I use a very sharp chisel on the widest part of the clip which is half-way round it. The clip doesn't cut all way through across it's width due to part if it being still inside its locating slot, but it's enough to seriously weaken it enough for it to be picked out - breaking as you work on it. The two halves will then come out. Alternatively - remove the opposite clip and knock the cup/spider away from the broken clip side. With the cup out of the way you should have better access to the broken one.

Les.

Hi,

Trying to change my propshaft UJ's today and after about 5 hours suceeded in getting one done! I don't think they ever been replaced.

My problem is in trying to remove the cirlcips, the 'eye's broke off so most of the circlip is still in the groove, but the eyes aren't there to grip it?

How can I get the piece out?

Not enough to grip with needle nosed pliers and it's really p*ssing me off!

Help......

Find a socket smaller than the circlip and use it to drive the cup further into the yoke which will release the load on the clip.

Steve

Thanks Les,

Guess what? We thought of the 'other side' method, and that one broke too! Was being gentle I swear!!!

Will try the chisel method and the pointy screwdriver method and let you know how I get on! It is however safe to say, that I hate circlips.

Cheers,

Hugo.