300 - 200 propshaft exchange

scooby

hi folks ;)

i,m thinking of changing my rear prop on my 1996 300 tdi for a 200 tdi to do away with the rubber coupling having changed it twice in 18 months

i think this is due more to poor britpart replacements , is this a good idea? and what price would i be looking at

and is it a streight forward job to do , e.g mods , parts

thanks upfront people for your advice ;)

Not sure if a 200 one will fit but some 300 age V8 Discoverys had a proper UJ at both ends, as factory fit - later ones 97/98 I think. I presume the rubber ring was ok with a stinky diesel but couldn't cope with a proper engine :ph34r::lol:

AFAIK the V8's had longer/shorter prop shafts due to the different place the GB+TB were placed ref to the chassis. I may be wrong.

My guess upon the reasons the rubber coupling failed so often is:

- you bought a non genuine/OEM rubber coupling (OEM is GKN - I can provide pictures if needed) - if this is the case then I'm surprised they managed to hold that much

- you have a suspension lift

- there's something wrong with rear susp/axle.

thanks folks ;)

bogmonster

i can only dream of running a V8 :rolleyes: but in the tdi's defence i happen to love the smell of a good old

diesel engine working it's plumbs off :D .

cipx2

your right mate if you buy cheap stuff you get what you pay for :( i fitted britparts , one coupling split after a week ,

checked front uj and it was fine is there anything else i should have checked ? i'm unsure if a lift kit has been fitted 1" or 2"

as i'm not to sure what the standard ride height is from centre cap to wheel arch any idea's also would be greatful for any pic's.

pete

thanks for that link mate every bit helps any more info on the wide angle one from D4X4.

HTH

and again any help is always welcome from all

Roy :)

There are some lift measurements here: http://www.discoweb.org/liftmeasurement/index.htm (those are all V8s but it doesn't matter that much).

Britpart supplies the genuine part as well. Just ask for TVF100010G (G stands for Genuine).

Here is how the genuine looks like:

post-1725-1193784446_thumb.jpg

What you see here is in fact TVF100010GB which is TVF100010G + Bolts (in fact + Bolts, nuts, washers and bush). The TVF100010G is only the rubber coupling.

You can see the GKN logo at about 8 o'clock and "Made in Germany" at about 12 o'clock on the rubber coupling.

well lads this proves it's good to talk.

thanks pete for that site some great stuff on it ;)l

cipx2

nice one the picture may have cured my problem ,it shows what looks a bush that fits in the centre of the coupling on to the

diff flange ,i've never removed or noticed one fitted on mine in the time i've had the motor

will check tomorrow will report back tomorrow ;)

In case anyone wants one, I've got a genuine kit 1 month old with receipt from LR(with the bush & bolts as above) sitting on my shelf doing nothing.

Bought it to replace mine, but once I got under there the prop was knackered as well so ended up replacing lots of bits!!

PM if interested

Cheers

Guy