What's this all about then?

GBMUD

I bought this 88 deg. Motorad thermostat from Bearmach (Well, X-eng really) last week but it has arrived without a gasket - I think.

53141.jpg

The black rubber ring around the outside is a good fit, is this some king of new replacement gasket or will I end up looking silly at the side of the road? I have some Hylomar just in case it is not a gasket.

53142.jpg

Your thoughts please, thanks.

Chris

It is probably a thermostat for a Saab. And yes, thay are the same size as LR ones so they fit. Just check so it has that wiggly pin that lets air escape when you fill up with water/antifreeze! The rubber thingy is the gasket, as in gaskets for more modern vehicles...

So, bin the "gasket" and get a proper one for your Landy.

When I was changing thermostats for a hobby (before I bought a decent gauge and found all three thermostats were fine...) all the 300Tdi ones I picked up had the rubber ring. And didn't leak.

Well, I fitted it with the original paper gasket. I think I stripped the thread in one of the holes doing it up but that will have to wait - until I get an M6 Helicoil kit or fit a nut on the back of the hole/end of the bolt.

The temperature guage now reads only about a quarter of the way up, I was expecting it to continue to read half as with the original 'stat and the one before that. I changed it as the Landy had developed a tendancy to run hotter than usual when towing on the motorway - similar to when the rad. was knackered, now mended and clear of mud BTW - which I put down to the 'stat sticking. There is some evidence of this looking at the old one. Looks like I may have to change it again for one that really does open at 88 deg.

Chris