Central locking and alarms

Ethers

Just new to the Range Rover ownership - just bought a 1987 EFI and it's brilliant. Previous owner disconnected the central locking as a security thing - I want to reconnect but have not yet got a book of words for it - is it a simple job of diving into the drivers door inner panel and reconnecting wires?

I would also be grateful for some info on where to get a remote kit so I can forget the keys. I would also like to put an alarm on it - any tips for a decent supplier?

many thanks

Ethers

Just new to the Range Rover ownership - just bought a 1987 EFI and it's brilliant. Previous owner disconnected the central locking as a security thing - I want to reconnect but have not yet got a book of words for it - is it a simple job of diving into the drivers door inner panel and reconnecting wires?

Glad you like your purchase :) Welcome to LR4x4.

I guess it might as simple as putting a fuse back in. If the fuse cover is still there on yours, it's got a table on the back showing what all the fuses are for, but there are a few odd fuses scattered around in other places. On the other hand, he might have cut the wiring. You're just going to have to dive in there and find out. Get yourself a workshop manual first - can't promise it'll be a great help (they aren't the best manuals around), but a lot better than nothing!

I would also be grateful for some info on where to get a remote kit so I can forget the keys. I would also like to put an alarm on it - any tips for a decent supplier?

Any decent alarm supplier should be able to fit it - there's nothing special about putting one in a Range Rover compared to an ordinary car. I'd ask around your local area and find one near you, or just try your yellow pages. If you fill your profile in so we can see roughly were you are, someone on here might know a good one in your area.

You might be lucky as Geoff says or he might just have pulled a loom plug out. You would appear to have spoken to the previous owner so why not give him a call and ask him?

A half decent alarm will have a remote lock function, you dont say what model & year you have, earlier models might need to have the locking changed or suplemented depending on the alarm maker.

How is the engine rebuild, that should quieten you down Geoff :D

:angry: Oi! Foul play...

Robhybrid's probably picking the truck up in the next week or so, shouldn't be too long before the new engine's in. Not sure when she'll be back on the road though, as I'm going to take the opportunity to deal with a few other odds and ends (like the V8s water allergy :lol: ).

• 2 years later...
:lol:

I fitted a Microscan alarm to the Disco but can't get the c/l to work from the plip.

Guess I need an interface as there's obviously not enough power in the alarm to fire the lock relays

you need to fit a solenoid in the drivers door to allow the locking to work ive got the same problem with mine at the moment but trying to get one mounted in the door with the locking switch is being a right arse of a job at the min. has anyone done this before because i could do with a pic to see how you mounted it etc ?