Thoughts on Suspension

61a

The suspension on my 300tdi is getting a bit tired so I am thinking of replacing the rather worn and original units and upgrading the bushes to Polybushes. I have noticed that discoparts are doing a set of Britpart gas shocks and springs for £148 which seems good value. Has anyone got experience of these or recommendations for other makes? I use the vehicle for road and greenlaning so don't need masses of lift but will hopefully be uprating the bumpers and adding a winch in the future so maybe I should be thinking of upgraded springs.

Jules

Go to tech section and look for the spring data. It's a list of all LR and OME

spring sizes and rates. Compare what you should have to other springs

EXCEPT Def110/ 130 REAR as these won't fit.

Also use ordinary metalastic bushes. Poly is for bling, costs a fortune

and has it's own set of problems.

Also look into using the following parts as well

Rubberized Spring Isolator (ANR2938)

Rubberized Shock Tower Securing Ring (RBC100111)

You should also consider new bolts and possibly turrets whilst your at it.

Check out Llama4x4 for shocks.

Go to tech section and look for the spring data. It's a list of all LR and OME

spring sizes and rates. Compare what you should have to other springs

EXCEPT Def110/ 130 REAR as these won't fit.

Also use ordinary metalastic bushes. Poly is for bling, costs a fortune

and has it's own set of problems.

Also look into using the following parts as well

Rubberized Spring Isolator (ANR2938)

Rubberized Shock Tower Securing Ring (RBC100111)

You should also consider new bolts and possibly turrets whilst your at it.

Check out Llama4x4 for shocks.

Thanks for the advice . I shall do some more research

Jules

Polybushes do have one major advantage - once you've got the old bushes out, any future bush changes are an easy DIY job. Standard can be done DIY though, just a lot more hassle, so not sure this justifies them unless you trash bushes regularly. My old truck was polybushed for this reason, but I sold it years before the bushes would have worn out, so from that point of view it was a waste of money.

Hard to say how they affected handling - they were a huge improvement on the old bushes, but those were knackered. Would have been interesting to drive it back to back with a similar truck on standard bushes.

They were much more bling though :D

I must admit part of my thoughts for going down the polybush route was the hassle I have had with other vehicles re-fitting the original rubber / metal ones. Laying underneath it the other day fitting a new handbrake cable ( the joy of a Landrover !!!) I was suprised at just how knackered the antiroll bar bushes were so I think as you rightly say any new bush would help. On an old vehicle I managed to seperate the two parts of a new bush, so without a press I think the wallet will just have to take the strain.

Jules

You can get the old bushes out without a press, but it's much harder work - if you search the forum you should find detailed instructions (might be in the tech archive), but essentially you cut through the rubber with a hold saw (I've also burned them out with a blow torch, but the hole saw is better and doesn't produce clouds of toxic smoke :ph34r: ), then carefully cut almost through the outer sleeve with a hacksaw (you'll get through quite a few blades) in two places and use a drift to 'tear' out the section between the cuts.

Supposedly it is possible to hammer new standard ones in without a press too, but I haven't tried it. Polybushes are dead easy.

I think polybushes are looking like the way to go. As its only for on road and a bit of weekend green laning hopefully they should be okay and slightly crisper on road handling would be a real improvement. I suspect that if the remainder of the bushes are as soft as the anti roll bar ones it will feel like a new vehicle .

Thanks for the help

Jules

have got poly's on my xr4x4, and compared to the standard rubber bushes the difference is amazing.

be warned, it will be a bit more bumpy on rougher roads, as the poly's have less give, on the plus side it keeps all the suspension geometry stable, rather than varying with the rubber ones as they give.

will be doing all the bushes on my disco