series II from 1957?

doddel

Not sure about Europe but I have seen a couple of what I believed to be late 1957 RHD series 2 vehicles in Australia. these were fitted with the 2 litre F head petrol engine from the series 1 because as the story goes, demand and production of series 2 vehicles exceeded the supply of the then new 2 1/4 litre petrol engine, so Rover overcame the engine shortage by using up the remaining stock of 2 litre lumps and exported these vehicles to the Antipodes where we were so desperate for any 4wds that no one complained that the vehicle wasn't quite what it said on the tin.

Bill.

"Have checked the documents, and it is a 1957 serie II. Collector's item?"

If you want to create a verifiable provenance, that will withstand future scrutiny, and may be a financial asset, I'd say you have to ask the BMIHT at Gaydon, at least for a letter if not an (expensive) certificate.

Alternatively, ask the appropriate officer at the Series 2 Club, although you may have to join to avail yourself of this service.

If you use the VIN on the documentation you have, or the easy to read plate in the vehicle, you are taking a slight gamble. Ideally you want the VIN off the leading outside spring hanger of the front RH spring, although this isn't always obvious. requiring scraping to remove underseal and surface rust, plus polishing with a wire brush, to make the stamped in number distinguishable.

HTH