1996 Land Rover Discovery Can't Shift Out of Park, No brakes Light

umoms

1996 Land Rover Discovery

Cant shift out of park. No brake lights and Turning Signals not working.

I think it maybe the brake switch. Is there anyway to test it?

How do you tell if its bad or not?

Is the turning signals not working might be related to brake switch.

For a while the AntiLock light was on. Then One day while I was driving I noticed the turning signals did not work. Then I parked the vehicle and when I tried to start it back up 10 minutes later I could not shift from Park.

I read all the posts and it seems the Brake Light switch is the culprit. I tried the trick to get it out of park but it didnt work for me.

Can anyone elaborate how to "trick" it so I can shift it out of park?

Also I read some posts that said I can use a jumper to get the antilock codes. Can I use a paper clip as the jumper and what exactly am I jumping? Any pictures or detailed explanations would be much obliged.

I'm guessing yours has some sort of park interlock where you have to put your foot on the brake to take it out of park in which case yes the park switch is 95% likely to be the culprit. Can test with a multimeter it isn't hard to get out. Not sure about indicators though - probably a different fault I think.

I'm guessing yours has some sort of park interlock where you have to put your foot on the brake to take it out of park in which case yes the park switch is 95% likely to be the culprit. Can test with a multimeter it isn't hard to get out. Not sure about indicators though - probably a different fault I think.

I have a multimeter. Do I test it with the brake light switch in or can i test it out? And do I have to have my foot on brake to test it?

I have a multimeter. Do I test it with the brake light switch in or can i test it out? And do I have to have my foot on brake to test it?

I bought a new brake light switch and a new flasher and it didn't resolve this. I know the original flasher is working because it controls the hazards and my hazards are working fine.

If I jump the rear defroster and 3rd brake light, I can shift fine.

If I jump the 2 wires in the brake light switch connector I can shift fine and I get brake lights that stay on.

I do not get any turning signals but hazards work.

I checked all wirings and fuses and everything seems legit.

This happened only after i replaced the rear passenger side bulb and installed a new battery.

Any other ideas?

Not sure if this will help, but a couple of things spring to mind after your last post about replacing the bulb...

1. You may have shorted some wiring in the light unit enough to blow a fuse somewhere - you will have to refer to a wiring diagram to see if there is a common fuse that could affect the indicators and brake lights. Sorry - I should read more carefully!

2. There may be a dodgy earth or broken wire in the light unit that you have disturbed. This can cause all sorts of weird effects - commonly 'Christmas-tree lights' when braking and indicating - due to various circuits back-feeding, and may (in this case) be affecting your park interlock... perhaps?. Just clean up, look for damaged or dodgy wires and make good connections all around the back end. These sorts of problems can also be caused by poor tow-pack wiring so don't limit your checks to the unit that you disturbed.

Afraid that I can't help with any of your other questions - the above suggestions are based on experiences from when I worked as a back-street-abortionist mechanic many years ago, not from any direct knowledge of a 96 Disco wiring...

TwoSheds

Not sure if this will help, but a couple of things spring to mind after your last post about replacing the bulb...

1. You may have shorted some wiring in the light unit enough to blow a fuse somewhere - you will have to refer to a wiring diagram to see if there is a common fuse that could affect the indicators and brake lights. Sorry - I should read more carefully!

2. There may be a dodgy earth or broken wire in the light unit that you have disturbed. This can cause all sorts of weird effects - commonly 'Christmas-tree lights' when braking and indicating - due to various circuits back-feeding, and may (in this case) be affecting your park interlock... perhaps?. Just clean up, look for damaged or dodgy wires and make good connections all around the back end. These sorts of problems can also be caused by poor tow-pack wiring so don't limit your checks to the unit that you disturbed.

Afraid that I can't help with any of your other questions - the above suggestions are based on experiences from when I worked as a back-street-abortionist mechanic many years ago, not from any direct knowledge of a 96 Disco wiring...

TwoSheds

Took it to a local mechanic and found out I installed the brake light switch incorrectly. Turning signals and brake lights are back on and working and I am able to shift out of park.

The brake light switch was the failed part.

Thanks!