Replacing the fuel tank

There's a hole in the top of my fuel tank which leaks badly when the tank is more than half full. It seems a bit of a waste to not be able to use the full capacity and when offroading it'll leak even worse.

I've just been quoted around £350+vat to replace the tank and cradle with brand new items which is a helluva lot of money. Is it a job which is possible to do on the driveway? The new tank apparently retails at around £170 (but they'd do it for £100 as part of the job) and the cradle at £35.

The other option would be picking up a good tank from a similar age vehicle and fitting it myself if people think it's a feasible job for the driveway and is using a 2nd hand tank worthwhile?

Well looking at paddocks online their 110 tanks range from 67 to 130 quid + dreaded depending on chassis no, free delivery if you order online. I personally would buy a new tank and do it myself on the driveway.....

There's a hole in the top of my fuel tank which leaks badly when the tank is more than half full. It seems a bit of a waste to not be able to use the full capacity and when offroading it'll leak even worse.

I've just been quoted around £350+vat to replace the tank and cradle with brand new items which is a helluva lot of money. Is it a job which is possible to do on the driveway? The new tank apparently retails at around £170 (but they'd do it for £100 as part of the job) and the cradle at £35.

The other option would be picking up a good tank from a similar age vehicle and fitting it myself if people think it's a feasible job for the driveway and is using a 2nd hand tank worthwhile?

If the holes not due to rust why don't you weld it up or get someone to do it? depending on the size of the hole it shouldn't be that expensive to fix and would certainly save you a lot of money.

Ive done this to mine as the previous numpty that owned my vehicle had drilled through the seatbox (lightweight) and through the tank, meaning on steep climbs the fuel drained out through the hole. If you are going to weld it up make sure you remove all the fuel and then fill it with water to flush out all the fumes.

Sure it's a hole in the top? Mine used to leak around the fuel filler pipe, which is on the rear face of the tank.

A new tank cured the problem for me but you might be able to rectify it? Either way, it's a driveway job with a sensible toolkit - WD40 to the 'special' design that someone at LR thought up for the front mountings though (must've been a Friday afternoon for that one!)

In my opinion the Land Rover 110 fuel tank is a classic example of "designed to fail" engineering.

Firstly the depression into which the fuel pump is bolted collects all kinds of water and road debris, this in turn contributes to the steel fuel pipes on the pump rusting and ultimately failing...........not to mention the 12v electrical connection which can corrode and fail.............

The "saddle" which supports the tank is another point of weakness, not in the supporting of the tank which is flawless but, in the following manner............the tank has a "protusion" in the bottom to accomodate the fuel pump and the saddle is constructed as such with a protusion to accomodate this.......... again water and road debris can collect in this area leading to premature rusting of the tank bottom...............

The last item, although not nearly as critical, is the manner in which the electriacal leads and earth wire are connected to the fuel sender in the side of the tank..............once again especially water induced corrosion leads to the wiring connectors failure...................

As they say "Happy Motoring" :) or here in Canada when you are having vehicle problems the "wise guys" sing out......"Get a Ford" :)