200tdi water temperature

Hello all,

I have fitted a 200tdi into a Defender to replace an old TD engine and replaced the water temp sensor to match the instrument panel.

Everything is running ok but the water temperature guage after a few minutes shows very high tempertaure.

If I rev the engine the temperature drops to the normal level but as soon as I let the engine tick over the temperature on the guage shoots back up.

Not sure if it is the thermostat or water pump or someting else.

I think that the thermostat is ok as after a while the water flows through the radiator and when really hot the electric fan comes on to cool the water.

As long as the engine is over tick over everytihng shows normal.

Any ideas anyone, thanks.

Alan

maybe a airlock in the heater pipework/matrix, does the heater give out a decent amount of hot air when used ? or the TD temp sender isn't the right range for the engine, even though it worked fine in the TD engine.

the temp sender needs to be the correct item for the engine PRC8593 will work well with the original TD temp gauge --- mine does & read correct at all times.

I have fitted a new water temp sensor and it reads ok but the problem is more that the water temp is rising to a high level on tick over and back to the correct level if I keep the revs up.

I will check for air locks as it could be somethng to do with it.

I also need to get the heater blower motor working about the last thing on the list for the refurb of the vehicle.

Thanks

AL

maybe a airlock in the heater pipework/matrix, does the heater give out a decent amount of hot air when used ? or the TD temp sender isn't the right range for the engine, even though it worked fine in the TD engine.

the temp sender needs to be the correct item for the engine PRC8593 will work well with the original TD temp gauge --- mine does & read correct at all times.

Hi Alan,

I have recently fitted a X-Eng thermostat to my 90 with a Mondeo electric fan, the low side on the thermostat has so far never kicked in, the range is 88 down to 82.

Normally 200TDi run cool anyway also a lot depends on where you have the thermostat control (mine is in the bottom pipe) Anyhow, I may still have some teething problems with mine, but I think yours should be cooler.

When the engine is up to temperature, see how hot the top hose is compared to the bottom, if the bottom one is a lot cooler It would suggest the thermostat has stuck shut. about £8 should sort that out with a new one.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

In case anyone has the same problem, it seems to have been caused by an airlock as I partially drained the cooling system and refilled it.

Now the temp starts low and gradually comes up to normal operating temperature.

Thanks to those who made suggestions.

AL