Larger Tyres - Western?

Phil

A bit of advice please; having faffed about endlessly looking at options for replacing the tyres on my '02 110 I'm being offered a set of these at a very good price by a friend who bought them and then decided to fit something else:

http://www.paddockspares.com/pp/WHEELS_AND...ey_Modular.html

Not having my friend's financial resources, I need to know these will fit, etc, before I buy them. I do a reasonable amount of off-roading and my main concern is that tyres this size on wheels like that will foul somewhere at full articulation. I know from other posts that this tyre size is popular with people on the forum, I think particularly of Steve (Western), can anyone say for sure if there'd be any problems? For clarity, I'm not concerned with steering lock and I know how to adjust the stops.

Thanks in advance!

Phil.

A bit of advice please; having faffed about endlessly looking at options for replacing the tyres on my '02 110 I'm being offered a set of these at a very good price by a friend who bought them and then decided to fit something else:

http://www.paddockspares.com/pp/WHEELS_AND...ey_Modular.html

Not having my friend's financial resources, I need to know these will fit, etc, before I buy them. I do a reasonable amount of off-roading and my main concern is that tyres this size on wheels like that will foul somewhere at full articulation. I know from other posts that this tyre size is popular with people on the forum, I think particularly of Steve (Western), can anyone say for sure if there'd be any problems? For clarity, I'm not concerned with steering lock and I know how to adjust the stops.

Thanks in advance!

Phil.

255's are am ideal size for a Defender. They'll up your gearing slightly and you may have to wind in your lock stops (depending on what offset rims you're using) but that's it. BFG MT's are a cracking tyre and wear really well. If they're at the right price then go for them - I would.

Oh, and by the way - Western is Ralph, not Steve ;)

Matt

Ralph, my apologies, I'm no good at names...or reading, apparently!!

Steve (see, I knew there was a Steve involved somewhere!), I have standard suspension and the tyres are on the modular rims shown on the Paddocks website, what do I have to trim?

Will they stick out more than the tyres on Ralph's vehicle (which from the picture I've seen has Wolf wheels) and if they do does that matter?

Sorry to be thick but I need to be sure I'm not buying any problems.

Thanks all!!

Phil.

Do it you know you want/need them, best tyres I've ever fitted, I'm in agreement with my learned friends ^^^^^^^ :D

& it's Ralph as in my sig. :D

doubt the will be any further out than mine are, the modulars centre plate is closer to the outer rim edge than the wolf wheels, not sure if you need to trim the flexy flares, but most likely will have to adjust the lockstops to prevent the tyre inner rear shoulder rubbing the radius arms on full lock.

Thanks, both, I know how to adjust the steering lockstops so that's fine. My main concern's that the tyres shouldn't foul the springs/suspension/wheelboxes/wings/etc. I have standard suspension and do tend to use the full articulation available when off-road! In general, I'd also rather the wheels/tyres didn't stick out beyond the arches.

One other point, does anyone know whether this combination of wheel and tyre will fit on a Mantec spare wheel carrier?

Thanks again,

Phil.

255/85R16 run better on modulars than wolf wheels, with regards to rubbing on articulation and steering lock. I've used both on my 90.

The only thing they may rub on full articulation is the lower plastic wheel arches. Worse case you just need to lightly trim the lower part of the arch if you want to stop this.

The will not stick outside your arches.

They do fit with no problems on a mantec wheel carrier. The larger tyre will be closer to your tow hitch though.

Here's a pic of a 110 std height on 255/85 16 BFG Muds on modulars..

general004Medium.jpg

and finally here's a pic of a 255/85 on modular on mantec wheel carrier, which also shows nearside BFG mud relation to wheel arch ;)

DefMods011Medium.jpg

Cheers

Steve

Steve, that's extremely helpful, especially the pictures. I think I can safely invest my money, so thanks everyone!!

Phil.

The only thing they may rub on full articulation is the lower plastic wheel arches. Worse case you just need to lightly trim the lower part of the arch if you want to stop this.

The will not stick outside your arches.

They do fit with no problems on a mantec wheel carrier. The larger tyre will be closer to your tow hitch though.

Here's a pic of a 110 std height on 255/85 16 BFG Muds on modulars..

general004Medium.jpg

and finally here's a pic of a 255/85 on modular on mantec wheel carrier, which also shows nearside BFG mud relation to wheel arch ;)

DefMods011Medium.jpg

Cheers

Steve