My First Land Rover

TripTrick

Hi Everyone, my name is Allen and I am a Landy Nut.... (read new Landy Nut)

;)

Seriously though... I am extremely excited as I have just paid for my First Land Rover. She is a 1970 (circ) Series IIA.

Unfortunaltely I only get her on Saturday Afternoon. :(

The Previous Owner rescued her from being a "break down" recovery vehicle before he bought it. He fitted a canopy and had it re-sprayed, effectively making it into a 109" three door station wagon. He had done a few mods to her to make her better and I am now going to be the Proud owner and am hoping she will bring as much joy to me and my family as she did to others beofre.

I have been searching for over 4 months now for the perfect Series Landy. I have driven some dogs and I have beein in others that were not bad at all. Prices varied wildly from cheap to fair to over the top. But one gets whats you pay for.

Anyway I was driving back from the western part of Gauteng (South Africa) feeling dispondent that I could not find a Series yet again... We drove past this Chaps house and saw this 109 Landy in the Front Garden and an 88 series Landy Inside the Garage. Slammed on Brakes and made a u turn right there and parked along side the house. We asked to see the owner of the Landy in the Garden and the Owner came out with a bewildered look on his face.... We asked him directly f he was keen to sell his Landy to which he replied, "Not Really, She is my baby" He uses it to go to the diving areas a few times a year etc. Well enventually he was taking us through all her enhancements and took us for a test drive etc. Which was quite impressive as she had not been started in over 6 weeks, She took First Time...

To cut a long story shorter....

HE did not really want to part with her, but I really wanted her...

He had looked after her very well and would be saying goodbye to a chapter of his life with her that he really did not want to think about.

Eventually he said I could have her as long as I will use her and not break her up for spares etc... Done Deal!

So Now I cannot wait for the weekend!!!!

Right now, She needs a Brake overhaul and perhaps a clutch a little later in December.

Thanks Mr D. if you are on these forums somewhere. You will not Regret it. I will look after her, like you did.

post-5694-1195750620_thumb.jpg

Hey there.

I can recommend some places for spares. Try Dover spares in Selby as they import Britpart spares for Landies. They are the cheapest. If they don't have Rob Leimer's in Honeydew will. They do mostly second hand spares.

Hope this helps

Thanks Gareth,

I decided to pay Rob Leimer A Visit as I needed a few items to overhaul the brake system and fit a new clutch. Thanks for the info, Rob's place is absolutely fantastic. I have never seen so many Landy's and thier spares in one place. Was a nice experience walking around there this morning. Is there somthing that he does not have? :D

Thanks Again for the advise.

Thanks Gareth,

I decided to pay Rob Leimer A Visit as I needed a few items to overhaul the brake system and fit a new clutch. Thanks for the info, Rob's place is absolutely fantastic. I have never seen so many Landy's and thier spares in one place. Was a nice experience walking around there this morning. Is there somthing that he does not have? :D

Thanks Again for the advise.

Yep, like I said though for new spares try Dover as they are usually a bit cheaper. Only thing is their location.

Just a Quick Update on Progress Made this week; (for those that are interested)

Took the 4 brake Drums and shoes, Hand Brake Drum and Shoes and Pressure Plate to a place in Roodepoort to sort out for me (skim and re-line) Everything was R550.00 (GBP 40 or $79)

Rear Brakes are Done. While the brakes were off I decided to do the bearings aswell. (Just have not refilled the Diff yet)

All 3 Inline fuel Filters Changed. Both Big Filters Changed (Water Trap and Other)

At Last found the Donaldson Agency here and what a HElpful buncg they were. I had this mess of the air filter being coinnected to the Engine. So they made me a small contraption with the correct fittings for the air filter and for the engine side. Just need to get a hole back inbetween the filter and the engine again as there was some kind of pipe inserted into the old effort. Breather or Blower of air of some sort.

Tommorow night I will remove the old and install the 4 new Front Slave Cylinders. Can't Bleed yet as I need to put the Gearbox Back first. Dont know what will break should I try start it with no Gearbox attached.... and then Re Install the new clutch and skimmed Pressure Plate

Saturday I will get some help from my Brother in Law to get the Gearbox Back and attached to the Mounting plate on the Engine. Hand Brake and Props etc aswell reattach.

Will try start her but might need to bleed the diesel system first. Saturday Afternoon will be bleeding the brakes, Filling the Rear Axel, Drain and Refill the Front Axel. Warm Engine and Drain the Engine Oil, replace the oil filter and Refill. Then the small service is also complete.

If no time on Saturday afternoon / evening then I will take her for a trip around the suburb to test and see if everything is in order. My biggest concern now is that I have a decent enough braking system after this.

Oh and what I am going to do with all the "spare parts" (bolts and nuts and odds and sodds) that will inevitably be left at the end of this exercise? ;)

Then If all is good with her, take her on a bit of a 4x4 track on Sunday Afternoon just for me to start getting to know how she behaves off road.... Cant Wait!!...