Instruments acting a bit weird.. well.. really weird!

Yesterday I fixed the ventilation fan on my '97 300 Tdi STW, the plug in the engine room was corroded. No problem there.

Then today, I went to the hospital, and on the way, suddenly my rear window heater lamp lit up, the wipers started going and the radio died. I killed the fan, the headlights, and the radio started working again. Then I tried turning on the lights and fan again -no problem. A few minutes later, the same thing happened, but now the turn indicator and the blue headlight indicator lit up a bit too. This time shutting off the fan and headlights didn't help, I had to turn off everything and wait a few minutes before I was able to drive on (headlights are mandatory all day here in DK).

So, I'm guessing the switch for the ignition in the steering column is bad, any other suggestions?

/tony

First stop with electrical faults like that is earthing points - if one connector was corroded, there's a chance others are too and there's a good chance an earth wire or two are past their best.

Thanks Freezer,

Any special places I should look? The connector wasn't corroded, it was burnt. The car is pretty much rust-free, since it's been used in Kosovo.

/tony