I can put a new fan belt on in the dark, in 5 seconds

Francis

Just thought I would share this handy tip I figured out about 2 months or more ago.

Alternator belt, being behind the serpentine belt, is a bugger. However, follow these instructions and you will be able to put a new one on in seconds.

Take new belt. Flip it inside out, so the teeth are on the outside, then tuck ONE length only under the teeth side of the serpentine belt for the waterpump wheel, and pull so its gripped under there.

Then turn the ignition key so it does the start up for about .5 seconds. Not enough for the engine to actually start running. Just the ignition to kick in.

The power of that is enough to drag the belt around the serpintine wheel, under that belt and hey presto. Its on the correct side of the belt. Just loosen the alternator, and put it around the alternator wheel, tighten, job done.

Perhaps you knew this already. If not. It's an awesome tip!

Erm... :huh:

vehicles with a serpentine belt don't have a separate alternator belt :blink:

what engine are you talking about?

Oh. I mean the 'other' longer belt then, not the serpentine one. I thought that was called a serpentine belt. I am talking about the 200Tdi.

Ah ok - "serpentine" belts are the flat poly-vee type as fitted to 300Tdis. All clear now.

It may be ok for an emergency roadside repair but I am not sure about the long term effect on the health of the bearings as Poostainedrhinothingy commented