Stripped thread on front hub

Guest deleted

Guest diesel_jim

Went to bolt the calipers onto my front axle today for the project 110, and one of them has the thread stripped in the casting of the hub (actually called "swivel in housing").

Whats the general concensus....

1) drill it out and re-tap and fit a coil insert?

2) drill it out, re-tap and then enlarge the hole in the caliper to accomodate a larger bolt?

3) replace the whole hub?

4) any other bright ideas?

It's off of a 300Tdi axle, RH housing, part # FTC3308 if anyone's got one lying around.... :rolleyes:

Went to bolt the calipers onto my front axle today for the project 110, and one of them has the thread stripped in the casting of the hub (actually called "swivel in housing").

Whats the general concensus....

1) drill it out and re-tap and fit a coil insert?

2) drill it out, re-tap and then enlarge the hole in the caliper to accomodate a larger bolt?

3) replace the whole hub?

4) any other bright ideas?

It's off of a 300Tdi axle, RH housing, part # FTC3308 if anyone's got one lying around.... :rolleyes:

if you can't get another swivel, my preferred option would be number 1, drill out & fit a helicoil insert to match the original size bolts. :D

& FTC3308 is common to Defender/Discovery 1 & RR Classic if you can't get one the later part is FTC5296

Guest diesel_jim
If by r/h you are refering to the off side one I probably have one from a 1996 300tdi discovery if that is of any use. I can't say for sure until the weekend. Yours for the cost of postage. Although postage might be quite expensive as it's quite heavy.

Pete.

Thanks Pete, yes, O/S is the one i need. i'll PM ya... B)

Ralph wrote:

if you can't get another swivel, my preferred option would be number 1, drill out & fit a helicoil insert to match the original size bolts.

& FTC3308 is common to Defender/Discovery 1 & RR Classic if you can't get one the later part is FTC5296

Cheers Ralph, i already checked that part number (after my PC just crashed for no apparent reason... <_<<_< )

I'll see if Pete can come up trumps.

Christ - apologies about that Jamie, when i go the axle it didnt have the calipers anyway so wasnt aware -sorry.

i got that viscous unit on Sat thank you - Walfy service was just a little delayed..... but no problems and greatly appreciated thank you Diesel Jim/Walfy and Weeble

Guest diesel_jim
Christ - apologies about that Jamie, when i go the axle it didnt have the calipers anyway so wasnt aware -sorry.

Hey, for what i paid for the whole axle, i'm not complaining at all mate!! B) B) B)

Glad the viscous jobbie did the job. :D

i got that viscous unit on Sat thank you - Walfy service was just a little delayed..... but no problems and greatly appreciated thank you Diesel Jim/Walfy and Weeble

My part was speedy enough. It just slowed down to countryside speed when it crossed the Somerset border. Complain to the end courier :D :D . I'm sure if you complain enough you'll get a refund

Guest diesel_jim

Thanks for the advice/help everyone. Pete (raceface) has come up trumps with a spare hub part, so a bit of stripping and rebuilding will be called for.

D-J. B) B)