Middle Silencer Replacement Pipe

Yep, talk to Richard @ DoubleS, I got a straight through pipe for my 110 a while ago, due to a slight error I ended up with a 90 one, then they made me a 110 version. Very happy with it & the service I recieved.:D

I sent them a message via their contact form but I think I'll just ring them tomorow.

I'm only looking at cost and availability at the moment, after having to pay for two silencers from paddocks (long story, manufacturing fault, I'm unorganised all totaling to probably no refund) I'm reluctant to fork out yet more money but I can't help but feel I am missing out with a supurfluous silencer! I'd like to go the whole hog and get a sports system or something large bore (oh dear, that sounds like boy racer terminology...) but I think that is far beyond my budget for Land Rover parts.

Was yours for a Diesel?

At first I thought that would be of no use to me, as the problem is that I haven't seen ANY replacement pipes for V8s, only sports exhausts and only the full system in those cases, but as you say in that topic, it was for a V8 110, so no reason why they wouldn't do a 90 version. I hope. Nice Landy by the way.

For some reason they couldn't deal with me directly and directed me to paddocks.

Would have preferred it to come from them as their premises are on my route up the M5 next week so could have saved delivery and time.

How loud is the exhaust with the silencer replaced? I know it varies on what you're doing, but at motorway speeds is it an annoying drone? I should imagine it's loud enough at 30mph.

• 2 weeks later...

I decided the replacement pipe depended on not increasing my premium, which I've had a talk to Adrain Flux about, and they want £30 extra if I fit it.

Western, did you tell your insurers and did they want more? Mine wanted to know what my current BHP is and what it would increase to with the pipe - I told them about +3-4 BHP but that figure only came from what I've heard of sports exhausts, I have no idea of the actual figure for replacing just the silencer. I don't even know the exact standard BHP figure, LRO's buying guide says 115, does anyone know if that's right?

I don't think the increase can be much, but where would I find that out?

All this for a bit of extra noise. :huh:

no I haven't, it doesn't make the 110 any faster, just lets the turbo spool up a bit quicker.

standard [factory built] 200Tdi the correct high mounted turbo type in a defender should have 107bhp & 188lbft torque, very much doubt the slincer removal would make any difference to those figures.

• 2 weeks later...

Hm interesting. Im about to "create" an exhaust for my nas replica project. It has a 3.5 v8 fitted. The manifolds are 3.9 efi twin outlet , these will then go into efi twin downpipes and standard y pipe. then from the back it will have a standard td5 rear silencer, small box but huge bore, then a td5 mid box replacement pipe and then some how join this to the y pipe. Should sound nice !!! and be made of easyly available parts.