Series 2B (fwd control) Sallisbury axles

Gareth Dickens

I'm looking for a complete set of Series 2B Sallisbury axles. Now I need to know a few things. I know they are slightly wider than series 3 axles.

How are their ratios?

Are they SOA or not?

Will my front wheel hubs just bolt to them on the flanges?

Is it best to get their brakes with them?

Are lockers freely available for them?

Is this another attempt to find something that will stand up to the huge V8 you've got up front? I wouldn't bother with anything LR made unless you spend a pile of cash on uprated internals.

4.2l is not big, it's actually very small for a V8. It is heavy though. My main thoughts behind the fwd control diffs are actually about getting a set of Sallisbury axles. (for lockers). My ENV front and Sallisbury rear have passed the test regarding strength. Problem is that I can't just fit a fwd control front diff as it is wider than a series diff. I need a set. Secondly if I go SOA the wider axles will help because I am going so much higher.(falling over)

My new auto box will also be kinder to the axles.

I'm looking for a complete set of Series 2B Sallisbury axles. Now I need to know a few things. I know they are slightly wider than series 3 axles.

2B has ENV not Salisbury & they are wider than normal series 2/2a/3 axles.

Are they SOA or not?

2B rear is SOA and the springs are mounted further out than normal series springs, front is SUA and normal distance apart.

How are their ratios?

Standard 4.7:1.

Will my front wheel hubs just bolt to them on the flanges?

Flange at the back of the swivel ball is standard series, but halfshafts?????

Is it best to get their brakes with them?

They are normal series 1 ton/6 pot/Stg 1 V8.

Are lockers freely available for them?

For Salisbury yes but ENV probably not as they are a bit rare.

:rolleyes:

Anybody heard from Bill van Snorkle. I miss his replies.

I am still here. My wife and daughter have monopolised the computer for the past week or so to study for end of year exams.

My experience with Salisbury diffs on a Forward control Land Rover ironically enough was on a 1976(not a missprint) an ex South African Police vehicle that were given the nickname of Bush Pigs, because they tended to roll around in the dirt, that was imported to Australia about 15 years ago. I think they were special build for Sth Africa only and featured Weslake Cylinder head for the 6 cylinder engine, modified all synchro series 3 gearboxes coupled to the 1 ton all helical transfercase, and modified series 3 chassis rails. The Salisbury diffs were of the standard 4.7:1 ratio, so difflocks, ARB, Mcnamara ,Ox etc are available. the hubs/ spindles /swivel housings/ brakes were all standard series 3 6cyl issue. Unfortunately universal joints were still employed on the front halfshafts, so that is the weak link. Just like regular series 2B Forward Control vehicles the track was around 4'' wider and the suspension was spring over at the rear and spring under up front. We tried to fit the front diff assembly from this vehicle under a friends 2A Forward control that had an Isuzu 4Bd1 Deisel fitted to it but the bulk of the diff compared to the Rover unit plus the fact that it was slightly less offset created clearance problems with the engine so we didn,t go ahead with the swap.

Bill.

As an outsider, I'll ask the novice question.

Why start with 'unsuitable' axles?

If Salisbury diffs are good, and ENV axles as rare as ...., and Series axles are too narrow for stability, containing Hook joints rather than CV's, why not add leaf spring platforms to Range Rover or Defender axles, gaining CV joints, easily upgradable innards, Salisbury diffs, and greater track?

Is there a steering problem?

Mind you, 12 months or so ago I recall reading a web account of someone making extended travels in a S2bFC, and he seemed to be on constant trouble with failing axles, due to admitted overloading, until he got to Germany (from Southern Africa) when he fitted completely different axles. Could have been Unimog, could have been something else.

Sorry, I didn't keep a link because I lost interest in S2bFC's.

Cheers