intermittent starting 300 tdi

trogers

Hi Guys and Gals

Firstly i'd like to thank all those who gave me advice on changing top end shock bushes. It went a treat. :)

I have another long standing problem which is driving me crazy,(no pun intended) I have an intermittent starting problem with my 300 tdi.Most of the time it's fine,but sometimes just no go.

The glow plug light on the dash flashes on for a split second then goes off and nothing happens.I have found that if I run a wire from the battery live to the starter solenoid it will fire up no problem and then run ok. I have also found that if I run a wire from the battery neutral to a decent earth on the block it will fire up and then run ok. Also i have noticed that I get a small spark When I connect the neutral to the block.

I have checked the earth connections and all seem to be ok.

I have also removed the spider and replaced with Landrover bypass plug £5.00.

Can anyone throw any light on the subject? :(

Thanks in advance

Yep definatley sounds like you need to sort the earthing out, try running an additional cable from the block to the negative terminal, bolt it into an unused hole on the block.

Also is your 300tdi and automatic or manual, if it's an auto is it an EDC Fly-by-wire or manual throttle cable.

I would also take unplug the glow plug relay and clean all the contacts.