Importing 110 to U.S.?

frans

I would like to have a defender 110 older model shipped to me to the U.S. Left hand drive.

Here are the paticulars:

JUST the shell.

No engine

No running gear

Just the shell but must be in good shape.

Anyone have helpfull information on how to do this, what the laws are for a shell, and about what it will cost?

Also any tips on who to contact to find the shell?

Thanks

Frans

Guest diesel_jim

For the shell, you could do worse than try Equicar, but i suspect it'll cost an arm and several legs to get one sent over.

you also have the 25 year rule, so think you may come unstuck there (at least for a couple of years yet), although some US folk register their imports as series trucks.... ok until you get caught/have an insurance claim :(:o

a few "importing a 110" threads on Pirate4x4

& the body shell on it's own does NOT have a unique serial number [VIN = vehicle ident number is for the chassis & it's associated body] or the chassis on it's own. so you would have possible problems convincing the US authorities of it's origins. as it's not a complete vehicle.

All the above is correct...

You cannot get a 110 into the US legitamately, unless its on a temporary import (upto a year). You then have to re-export or suffer the wrath of the US customs people. When you import the vehicle they want to see chassis numbers and stuff. We were told we'd be fined $10000 if we didn't export the Camel within a year, and then the customs people can dispose of the vehicle. :(

There is a bloke in Montana somewhere who takes in Series vehicles and basiclly puts a few defender body panels on to make them look like defenders.

I read somewhere in one of the mags that there was a NAS spec 110. Never heard of one before, so couldn't vouch for the validity of it.

I reckon if you can manage to get one in you'll have a queue of people wanting to find out how you did it.

Good luck

D ;)

I can supply a brand new galvanised chassis, complete with a 1983 ID for a 110 CSW (first year of 110 production - launched in March 1983)...

All legal and above board, and also have the chassis leg off the original chassis with the VIN number - the rest of the chassis has been cut up for scrap.

If needed, can supply it as a rolling chassis with later axles - along with new bulkhead etc etc.

In the UK, it would still be allowed to keep the ID as brand new replacement chassis to original specification, original suspension type (coil spring) front and rear, and would also have steering set up to original specification - which gives you 9 points via the UK DVLA system (you only need 8)

Was for project, but would sell for the right money.

Next year it will be 25 years old, so suitable for export into the US.

Ian

1993 was the only year 110's were imported. I do wonder if it was disassembled, if you could import a body as parts to "repair" your 110 which was damaged when it rolled in that off-road accident. I do know people have legally built entire Defenders by importing parts from several sources, then registering them as kit cars.

Is this a shell? or a chassis?

A chassis.... a 110 doesn't have a shell as such (just a collection of bolt together panels)

Panel age is irrelevent - plus were only fit for the scrap bin off the 110 the ID is from....

A 110 is a seperate chassis (I think you usually call it a frame in the US), not a monocoque, thus the body work carrys no ID as it is not a bodyshell or of a monocoque type construction ... so in theory the body work is also impossible to date (well to prove extact age)

If you wanted, I could supply the chassis with a complete Td5 Defender Body and a choice of engines inc Td5 ;)

Ian

Educate me please.

What is a 'series'?

I like the body type you pictured, except for no rear side windows.

Maybe I could install some myself. Shouldn't be too hard.

Serie 1 or 2 or 3, this is a seres 2a 1971 model.

old enough for exporting well over 25 years old. newer had any rust anywhere. locker in the rear axle open front axle.Servo steering, 4 separate MoMo seats and can carry 8 people total benches in the rear.a lot of work carried out on it a newbuilt gearbox going in now with an x-eng disc-handbrake kit. etc etc.

Ketil

Why not buy an series instead? a well built one with a conversion engine like this one perhaps? will be for sale next autumn.

Ketil

Thanks for the offer. However I want to build up one myself as I do ALOT of wrenching, and this would be for fun

Thanks for the offer. However I want to build up one myself as I do ALOT of wrenching, and this would be for fun

I did not offer up the car for sale i just wanted to tell it is going up for sale next autumn :)

I like to build them also like you, hope you get the car you want.

Have fun doing the work, and getting a car as you want it.

I just wanted you to maybe get your eyes up for series car insted of a early 110 because it sems that you need a old car because of your countrys import rules.

Have a nice lookout. :)

Bye

Ketil

I just wanted you to maybe get your eyes up for series car insted of a early 110 because it sems that you need a old car because of your countrys import rules.

Have a nice lookout. :)

Bye

Ketil

Thanks. Series 11a seems like the one to seek

• 4 weeks later...