Another gps question

ciderman

Right I am a total newbie on hand held pc`s , I have been offered a Hewlett Packard ipaq H5550 , and want to use it for running os maps for greenlaning and challenge events .

The questions are , Will this device do the job , what software will I need ( I already have Fugawi) , will I need an external aerial , How much dya recon I should pay for a used one in A1 condition ?

Thanks in advance .

Yep that will do the job. You'll need a GPS reciever, see JST's thread, you might as well get a Bluetooth one as the H5550 has built in Bluetooth.

You'll need an in-car power supply and an SD card to store maps etc on.

Software wise Fugawi will work, although most people use Memory Map which is very similar. For road nav it'll also run TomTom.

How much? Dunno prices are always dropping on these things, check current eblag prices for an idea.

Sounds like the same set up I have Jase. I paid £140 for mine used about 1.5 years ago. Came with tomtom installed. I also run FGugawi on it. Its a bit oif a pain as there is a port conflict between the 2 apps which means you almost always need to do a soft reset when changing from one GPS programme to the other otherwise the device won't find the satellites. Maybe there is a patch to cure this? Anyway have a look on the Bay, would be surprised if you had to give more than a £100m these days for something that works.

Its a bit oif a pain as there is a port conflict between the 2 apps which means you almost always need to do a soft reset when changing from one GPS programme to the other otherwise the device won't find the satellites. Maybe there is a patch to cure this?

Have a look at the port slpitter thread I posted here. That should allow both programs to even be run at the same time as they use different ports.