Another boring first post

Badger_1

Hi guys my first post and guess youve heard it all before.

About to buy my first freelander and have been reading yr threads on head gasket probs. I know to look for gunge in the rocker cover and let it run for a while to check for overheating but are there any other signs I can look for if there is a head gasket problem?

Also I'm a bit worried having read that in some cases when the head gasket has gone its knacked the engine as well. Can anyone give me more info on this.

One more thing is there a Mk 1 and Mk 2 etc and what years did the change take place and how do I tell one from the other.

The 1.8's are a nippy run about Fridgefreezer loves his on and I won two off road championships in a 1.8.

There not all bad and its a buyers market with them as everyone is afraid to buy a 1.8, but with replacement engines as cheap as £500 and the same lump is fitted to so many cars, If you don't have a good mechanic to hand I can see why people are put off but its a simple engine change job that can be done with a decent tool kit on your drive.

The old 2.0l is a Perkins engine which means its basically indestructible, but not the quickest in the world (it will still dick any Td5 disco)

The Td4 is a little quicker and made by BMW (I'm not a fan) and loads more costly and complex to fix but its a reliable lump. The Td4 Auto is a very nice drive.

The V6 can be problematic but most people have been happy with them keep a eye on their breathers or you will be chasing oil seals for a past time and temp should always ready for a problem as its a lot of engine for a very small engine bay.

Wot Jules said - people are terrified of the 1.8 for no good reason IMHO, so it's a buyer's market and you could get a real bargain. If you're really worried get a decent mechanic to fit the latest gasket & stiffer thingummyjig when you first buy it. There are anough 1.8 K-series out there in Rovers, Caterhams, Lotus... those guys seem to rate the latest LR head gasket as the solution to the problem.

I'm loving mine, it's a great little runabout.

You will get a avarage condition early 2.0 xedi for that money 5dr

Auto trader have hundreds of 1.8's I would look there over Ebay as loads don't sell.

Also the Dealers back door is a good place but you need to know the right people as I have herd cars with nothing wrong just being early 1.8's being sold for £1000 to get rid of them.

do some more digging free ads and auto trader website is a better place to look also there very hard to sell so its a buyers market if a car is up for £2500 you could offer £1800 and people are that desperate to sell you could get a real bargain. You don't know if you don't try

You will get a avarage condition early 2.0 xedi for that money 5dr

Auto trader have hundreds of 1.8's I would look there over Ebay as loads don't sell.

Also the Dealers back door is a good place but you need to know the right people as I have herd cars with nothing wrong just being early 1.8's being sold for £1000 to get rid of them.

do some more digging free ads and auto trader website is a better place to look also there very hard to sell so its a buyers market if a car is up for £2500 you could offer £1800 and people are that desperate to sell you could get a real bargain. You don't know if you don't try

Thanks Jules I'll check it out. Can anyone point me in the direction of a website that will tell me the different specs of older models. Landrovers is only interested in telling me about the new models.

MMMM I can't think of any that do that

What do you need to what to know

there is enough people on here that should be able to fill in any blanks

S = base model

GS = middle of the road spec

ES = top spec

There are others and I can't tell you what the specials like eg. The Kalahari had spec wise but there normally between s-gs or gs-es.

Before that was the XEDI which from what I can work out was most of the 5dr 2.0lt diesels as leather didn't come in any of the early ones except the M25 which was a special released buy the London dealer hence the model name M25 (it has all the toys for that year and extras that LR didn't do) has all colour coded bumpers, mirrors big alloys there is normaly a yellow one on the Freelander club stand at most of the shows.

MMMM I can't think of any that do that

What do you need to what to know

there is enough people on here that should be able to fill in any blanks

S = base model

GS = middle of the road spec

ES = top spec

There are others and I can't tell you what the specials like eg. The Kalahari had spec wise but there normally between s-gs or gs-es.

Before that was the XEDI which from what I can work out was most of the 5dr 2.0lt diesels as leather didn't come in any of the early ones except the M25 which was a special released buy the London dealer hence the model name M25 (it has all the toys for that year and extras that LR didn't do) has all colour coded bumpers, mirrors big alloys there is normaly a yellow one on the Freelander club stand at most of the shows.

Thanks Jules got my eye on an ES but didnt know it was the top spec. Also got a 4tdi I'm interested in just got get the price sorted now. Thanks