Sealed clutch leak - any easy fix?

ThreeSheds

Hi,

I searched the Freelander forum but found only hints at this problem and no info on repairs. I don't normally spend much time down this way, so if it's already been covered I apologise for the repeat and could you point me to it please?

I'm a bit sketchy on the details, but my brother has a manual diesel Freelander and a while back his clutch started to head south... More and more of the peddle was taken up with slack and the disengagement point got further and further down. :(

It was due a service (incredibly expensive at the main dealer) so he mentioned it when he took it in but they 'forgot to look at it' and it was as bad when he came to take it home :(

The had it back and 'fixed' it under warranty in 1/2 a day. But it only lasted a few months (long enough for it to go out of warranty) and now it's heading south again... :angry:

I understand that this is a sealed hydraulic system which "can't be topped up" - similar to my Pug. Except that in the case of my Pug I was able to lever off the sealed-for-life-non-removable reservoir top, fill it up and - by manic pumping - bleed the system and effect a repair which (with regular small to-ups) is still working 2 years later...

So - to the questions:

Is a similar bodge possible on the Freelander?

Is this a known weakness?

How much of a job is it to replace the unit?

Should he sell it and get an 07 Defender (my advice) :lol:;)

Cheers,

TwoSheds

I guess were talking about a td4?

If so its a fairly common problem, you can bleed them and it can sort it for a while. Theres a bleed nipple on top of the 'box, you'll need a 13mm and 8mm spanner to open/close it, just pop the lid of the clutch master and bleed away. It seems to work best if your assistant pumps the clutch pedal and holds it down then you open the nipple for a second, close it, pump it up again etc etc. Bit of a squeeze getting you hand to the nipple and seeing what your doing but it can be done.

If it is leaking out the slave cylinder in the 'box bell housing it'll want doing eventually and thats a box out job, about 4 hours job in dealer.

I guess were talking about a td4?

If so its a fairly common problem, you can bleed them and it can sort it for a while. Theres a bleed nipple on top of the 'box, you'll need a 13mm and 8mm spanner to open/close it, just pop the lid of the clutch master and bleed away. It seems to work best if your assistant pumps the clutch pedal and holds it down then you open the nipple for a second, close it, pump it up again etc etc. Bit of a squeeze getting you hand to the nipple and seeing what your doing but it can be done.

If it is leaking out the slave cylinder in the 'box bell housing it'll want doing eventually and thats a box out job, about 4 hours job in dealer.

Thanks for that - yes apparently it is showing signs of a leak out of the bell housing. I will send your info to my brother and I guess we'll tackle it together next time I am down his neck of the woods...

Cheers :)

Thanks for that - yes apparently it is showing signs of a leak out of the bell housing. I will send your info to my brother and I guess we'll tackle it together next time I am down his neck of the woods...

Cheers :)

Good luck the slave is behind the clutch so you will need to split the engine from the gear box to repair / replace it :(

Good luck the slave is behind the clutch so you will need to split the engine from the gear box to repair / replace it :(

Not something I'd like to tackle in a day (not on a modern car at least - now a Mk1 Fiesta I could do in an hour ;) ). I guess he will be happy to keep topping it up until it starts making too much of a mess on his drive...

Doesn't it make you wonder about the main dealer who must have know what the problem was, and that it was nearly out of warranty, and chose to simply bleed it instead of fixing it?... :angry:

Sadly: Typical!

very common faults both both the clutch master cylinder and the clutch slave cylinder. i`ve read countless folk saying you can bleed them on here but thats pointless if it has a leak. also be wary of leaks from the bell housing as 8/10 the n/s IRD seal is leaking. you`d swear blind it was clutch fluid!