Gear selector failure?

The saga continues. having changed the clutch release fork, clutch, slave cylendar and got it all back together again i've got me a jumpy gearbox. all gears work fine when engaged, but 3rd only seems to want to engage 50% of the time. it feels like it's gone in, but as soon as you let the clutch up - pop :o - no crunchy noises, it just slips out. when it does engage and stay in it gives a bit more resistance than the other gears- feels a bit stiffer i suppose.

ok doctor, just tell me straight. i can take it. is it terminal? :P

at the end of my last post (clutch fork release failure) somone suggested thet the master cylendar may need changing too. suggested this to my mate who works weekends at *All Track 4x4* at cradley herefordshire (shameless plug) and he thought the problem may go a bit deeper. pessamist.

One gear playing up is unlikely to be anything but the gearbox itself.

Les :)

i'm starting to think i may have bought a nail. one thing after the other! can't be doing without my motor for more than a couple of days at a time, so swapping the box is probably more feasable than taking it out for a rebuild. i'll see what the gearbox guru has to say. cheers, les. :)

:o Sounds like someone else has bought a lemon gearbox, i got a reputed all good LT95 as a spare for mine in the RR, suffice to say the layshaft bearings were noisy so I spent an age changing the box. Tried it out at the weekend laning and it's absolutely useless, mine jumps out of first, second and thrird on the overrun and having worked it hard the low ratio sounds like a cement mixer. So I am off to get another from somewhere. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Best of luck but may be better to bite the bullet and get a recon from Ashcroft at least you have a guarantee !

:o Sounds like someone else has bought a lemon gearbox, i got a reputed all good LT95 as a spare for mine in the RR, suffice to say the layshaft bearings were noisy so I spent an age changing the box. Tried it out at the weekend laning and it's absolutely useless, mine jumps out of first, second and thrird on the overrun and having worked it hard the low ratio sounds like a cement mixer. So I am off to get another from somewhere. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Best of luck but may be better to bite the bullet and get a recon from Ashcroft at least you have a guarantee !

you have my sympathies, it does sound a bit ropey! presumably ashcroft does recon exchange, that would save delay on refitting it? am i right in saying a '91 200tdi defender has a lt77? are there any other types worth fitting that don't need massive modification? i'm sure i heard someone singing the praises of the r380(?)

I would talk with Ashcrofts they unfortunately don't rebuild LT95s so I have to look elsewhere, but have just been offered a box at a price I can't refuse and it is supposedly all good, then my garage man has offered me a whole Rangie with a good gearbox for free ! It's must be Christmas :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: