Traction Control problem??

Just over a week ago my TD590xs started to talk to me, every now and then I could   hear a slight noise but the type you think 'was that me or from outside?' At first I thought I had worn partly through a wire that fed the horn as it sounded as though it was sort of coughing gently, this only happened when turning left. During the week it became more frequent but during the last two days is now more prominent, a few time as the noise has happened the traction control light has lit up on the dash just momenteraly. the noise reminded of when I once had a misaligned brake shoe which sort of juddered slightly when reversing. but tonight my son said that it was like a clicking sound as though it is stuttering or brakes being applied on and off very quickly.

Before taking it into the dealer I would appreciate your thoughts or comments as to what it is. Is it possibly just a sensor playing up? or could the whole unit be going into an expensive breakdown? By the way this is happening in normal town driving in wet and dry roads, not slippery conditions.

Hope I have not waffled on to long.

does it come randomly of with the application of the brake pedal?

if its the first brake pedal application it could be a pad being pushed back into the caliper housing by a loose wheel bearing.

do you get it turning the wheel or straight ahead? age mileage of motor?

Could it be that the TC light is a coincidence? Could it be that there is an electrical fault somewhere (earth leads shorting) that really is sounding the horn, triggering the TC and possibly firing a few relays here and there (hence the clicking). I'm sure you'd notice if the TC was really firing - it would vibrate quite a bit, surely.

Might be worth jacking it up and trying the wheels under LH turning. Or just take it to the dealer.

Sounds just like mine...

Started when I was towing a trailer, (sounded like the air brakes on some trucks, but a lilttle bit horn like).

I asked about TC on the forum and it seems its a commonish thing.

The noise on mine seems to be nearside rear not front. Wheelbearings all OK, does it about 10-15% of the time.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a similar problem noise like a dog barking with what seems like wheel rotation on a 53 plate 110 some times TC light comes on and sometimes just the abs pump hsave check brakes bearing etc no fault store in ecu and sensors all reading ok very strange anyone solved the problem yet?

The car is with an the garage today will post details if they find the fault!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Appologies for the late reply. (did do a reply but as it was my first attempt to reply it all went wrong and got lost somehow, then was off sick for a while)

Well it has been up on axlestands and done a long run going nowhere, had wheels off and brakes, bearings checked. took out the sensors and pushed back in. Checked prop shafts etc, just aprox 1/4 to1/3rd inch play on front prop, rear fine.

it is a 2003 TD5 with 26,200 miles, we are second owner, have had it 4 years had 8,400 miles on it.

Since it has been back on the road within four days it slowly quietened down and within a week seemed to be driving normaly, just an occasional hint turning right on rounderbouts.

Anyway last Sunday went offroad for the first time (Landrover Experiance c/o Liverpool landrover Club) Absolutley fantastic, guess what? everything worked fine, used everything on the Landrover, never had so much use since we had it. Not had a peep out of it since. So lookes like it was just a fluke or telling me it need a proper work out every now and then.

Anyway, Thanks for all your suggestions.

hope this reply works

I have a similar problem noise like a dog barking with what seems like wheel rotation on a 53 plate 110 some times TC light comes on and sometimes just the abs pump hsave check brakes bearing etc no fault store in ecu and sensors all reading ok very strange anyone solved the problem yet?

The car is with an the garage today will post details if they find the fault!!!!!

the ABS pump can make a noise similar to that in normal operation - ie normal driving not necessary TC working - our does.