LR101 needs saving

G4FUJ

A friend of mine, out walking near Ingleton (sp?), came across a yellow 101 parked in a paddock close to a track up to the summit of Ingleborough.

"Saw a very sad sight on my way up Ingleborough. A Forward Control sitting in the middle of a field. It looked as if it had been there for a while – but just long enough that the canvas was starting to look tatty. Wouldn’t take long in that environment.

It pleaded with me to give it a good home. "

Unfortunately his other half isn't very keen on the idea :huh: . It's located near a farm/smallholding named Crina Bottom.

Bright yellow in colour. The only photo he took was of Ingleborough and is too large for here, but the 101 stands out as a bright yellow dot in the photo.

Wonder if anyone on here knows of it or the owner?

Cheers,

Graham

that'll be this one then :D :D

perhaps

post-1427-1197906697_thumb.jpg

Google Earth piccy? Nice one! :D

I think it's moved since that one was taken though. The photo I've been sent shows it some way back from the wall, and sideways on to the line of the track. Grass has been growing under it for a while. The two other vehicles (derelicts) look as though they've been there a long time...

Cheers,

• 4 weeks later...

Surprised myself - letters still work. Spoke to the owner yesterday evening, info as follows:

Present owner has had it since its demob. It was one of the last 101s built, in 1979. He first registered it for the ROAD - it has an 'F' registration. There were problems with the registration - DVLA could not believe the vehicle had not been registered at any time previously. The owner had to get a letter from the CO of the army base it came from to explain the situation. The vehicle was used solely for parades (passing out events) etc. on the base where it lived - consequently the mileage is very low. The vehicle is thought to be a 'little special' because of its use. It is in its original paint / colour scheme - yellow. Present owner purchased it to get provisions / stores / coal etc. up to the farm buidlings - hence the mileage is still very low. This is no longer a farm, but a permanent residence, the only mains connection is a telephone.

Now, the vehicle has not moved for a year. The owner is disabled and can no longer get into it. He has, however, drained the coolant ("It can get b.....y cold up here in winter!" was his comment). It is solid underneath, but will require a new canvas hood (in the region of £250?). There is a problem with fuel pump / relay that needs sorting. MoT and Tax are out (for obvious reasons!).

I want to go and have a good look at this LR, but can't do anything this week (I'm on call) and I think something is going on the following weekend too... Why? It should still be in a condition where not an excessive amount of work is required, and for the asking price... Nearest offer to £1700...

One of the owner's pals said he wanted it when the owner was ready to sell, but has not been contactable.

If anyone is seriously interested in this, I can pass on name / phone number of owner, please email me:

graham-g4fuj ( at ) talk21.com or EMAIL via the forum.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the message. I have emailed your pal.

I couldn't find the paper where I'd left all my notes on the 101", including the contact details for the owner.

Fortunately, I hadn't wiped the tape on the answerphone - in getting the owner's number I discovered a subsequent phone message that the owner's pal (who had first refusal) had finally coughed up the cash... Wonder if he saw the post here? :unsure: Anyway, looks like I need a new answerphone! :o

Timpo, I shall keep my eyes open for other 101s.

Cheers,

• 1 year later...