auto box v8 disco

denviks

hi all...let me just start by saying merry xmas :D :D

i have a problem that developed tonight on my disco. she is a 3.9 v8 efi on a L plate ( 300 shape.) she is fitted with the 4 speed auto box.

anyway here is what happened. i headed into town to pick the misses up from work. i sat outside her work for 30 mins with the engine turned off. i started it up and headed up the road. 2 mins in and the reg cog light with a thermometer flashed up and went out.... then came on permenatly......

i drove very carefully to local garage when i got some auto fluid....i checked the level and to be fair it seemed fine.....nice red looking fuid that smelt good....

i drove the truck the rest of the way home and it felt fine. nice smooth gear changes..... i was very gentle with it.

after getting it home i checked the front cooler that runs in front of the rad and that seems clean.....i left the truck tto cool down for 2 hours. i went out and put the key in the ignition and turned it on without starting the truck.... the light comes straight on :angry:

i am thinking along the lines of an electrical fault? am i correct?

can anyone point me in the right direction of things to check....and their location........tis my first v8 :D

cheers in advance guys

On the "bog brush" oil coolers the temperature switch is on the passenger side I think, it's either duff or the wiring's wonky/damaged. You'll need to remove the grille and then get a big spanner onto it - careful what you lever against when undoing it, you don't want to damage the cooler.

On the "bog brush" oil coolers the temperature switch is on the passenger side I think, it's either duff or the wiring's wonky/damaged. You'll need to remove the grille and then get a big spanner onto it - careful what you lever against when undoing it, you don't want to damage the cooler.

thanks mate....gonna get changed in a min and head out there and have a nose.....see what i can find.......will report back :D:rolleyes:

thanks mate....gonna get changed in a min and head out there and have a nose.....see what i can find.......will report back :D:rolleyes:

ok here goes with the findings..

i went straight to where you said bud and found the electrical connector.... well described...

so first things first... i checked the gearbox oil level....i dipped it 3 times and got 3 slightly different readings but all within the levels....all nice clean sweet smelling oil..

so i had a look at the connector and found that it was pretty clean ..... ( can i run an electrical check on this to make sure its right?)

so i turned the vehicle ignition on with the connector on the sensor......the warning light is on.......if i pull the connector off the light goes out ...

so would i be correct is saying its the sensor at fault?...after all the engine and gearbox are cold and have not been moved for over 12 hours now.... :(

is there a test i can run on the sensor?

as i say above the truck drives well .....was just a bit worried to see an extra red light on the dash.....if i leave it disconnected now do you think i will be safe enough driving it around until i get a new sensor??

any advice very welcome :)

Cold, idling in neutral is the correct way to check it IIRC.

Yes you can do an electrical test on the sensor - you've just done it by unplugging the wire :lol: if the light had stayed on I would suspect wiring (or a sensor that defaults to closed-contacts). Anyway, I think we can safely say the sensor is dead.

Part number is:

prc3139 to April 1990 / prc8473 onwards