Vented disc caliper ID?

When I stripped the axles out of my '93 110 200tdi (bought as an MOT-failure, and never driven by me), I found it had solid discs all round. As it was cold and wet at the time, I didn't look very closely at them...

Now, as I'm effectively building a new vehicle from scratch (new galvanised chassis, etc.), I'd like to fit vented discs to minimise any overheating problems when I'm towing something heavy. So - this afternoon I had a good look at the calipers in preparation to getting some spacers sorted out. Much to my surprise, it seems that spacers have already been fitted, even though the vehicle had skinny solid discs when I got it. The bloody pistons look far too far out of their bores to be right, so I'm guessing that some cheapskate replaced vented discs with solids at some stage, even though there is a significant width difference. My question therefore is this - am I right in thinking that caliper spacers are only ever fitted for vented discs?

You are correct, caliper spacers are needed when vented disc are fitted, they are easy to spot as almost all are a black colour so stand out against the calipers natural colour. vented disc LR part number is FTC902, you can get them from most of the independent LR parts suppliers.

You are correct, caliper spacers are needed when vented disc are fitted, they are easy to spot as almost all are a black colour so stand out against the calipers natural colour. vented disc LR part number is FTC902, you can get them from most of the independent LR parts suppliers.

Many thanks! :) Sadly, my calipers are (for the moment) coated in a uniform layer of rusty-mud, so the spacer doesn't stand out as being a different colour... :(

your truck got a unexpected Xmas pressie then & a surprise to the wallet :lol: good to know your sorted :D

Many thanks for your kind comments! To be honest, my wallet flinches every time I even think about my Landy - having bought a new galvanised chassis, my 'quick rebuild' has turned into a major project, with every single component being refurbished (zinc-sprayed/powder-coated, etc.), replaced outright, or receiving serious attention in my machine-shop. At the end of the day, I could probably have bought a near-new vehicle for similar money, but at least mine will be to the exact spec I'm after! :):)