Immobilised! (Occasionally)

Comical Engineer

96 Disco 300tdi. Occasionally (twice in 3 weeks) have stopped the engine for 1 - 2 minutes and the darn thing has refused to start i.e. won't actuate the starter motor. There is a faint click from somewhere under the dash but that's all. Leave it for 5 minutes and hey, presto! it will start just fine.

Any prime candidates for this problem? Is it the notorious spider issue? Ignition switch?

I did notice when I changed the starter motor recently that there is an additional wire connected to the solenoid spade connector. The other end of this wire is connected to the live terminal of the battery (with a fuse in line) and both bits disappear inside the car (but I haven't found where to yet).

All help gratefully received.

Thanks guys, looks like I'm in for a couple of hours fun then. <_<

Thankfully, I can solder and have a nice small soldering iron handy.

Or I might just rig up a temporary switch to the additional wire connected to the starter solenoid until the weather gets better. At the moment it's 3°C outside and raining horizontally. :(

PS: It's a manual.

Hi I had exactly the same problem last year and it turned out to be the spider, if it's too badly damaged or you don't fancy soldering to find it still wont work(as I did!), Land rover do their own bypass plug - Part no: AMR 4956 my dealer had not heard of it but ordered it and it arrived about 5 or 6 Quid I think.

Pain in the ass to get to though!

firemannotsam

96 Disco 300tdi. Occasionally (twice in 3 weeks) have stopped the engine for 1 - 2 minutes and the darn thing has refused to start i.e. won't actuate the starter motor. There is a faint click from somewhere under the dash but that's all. Leave it for 5 minutes and hey, presto! it will start just fine.

Any prime candidates for this problem? Is it the notorious spider issue? Ignition switch?

I did notice when I changed the starter motor recently that there is an additional wire connected to the solenoid spade connector. The other end of this wire is connected to the live terminal of the battery (with a fuse in line) and both bits disappear inside the car (but I haven't found where to yet).

All help gratefully received.

Hi.

I had exactly the same problem.could start the motor by connecting a wire from the battery live direct to starter solenoid,but I also found that if I ran another earth from the battery neutral to the engine block (air con mounting) the problem was solved. I had a proper earth strap made up £6.00 and all is now fine.The fault must have been bad earth somewhere. I had also removed the spider and fitted LR bypass £5.00 but it did not cure the problem.