Radius Arms

Hi, I've recently changed my axles for 24spline versions and i now want to get some caster correction arms for the new axles (which are obviously 45mm rather than 38mm)

I'm running a 3inch lift at the moment, not really any plans to get any higher but certainly won't be going any lower!

I've looked at the QT versions and they offer 3 degree for 2 inch lifts and 6 degree correction for 4 inch lifts.

Which would be better to fit and why?

What problems could I run into with too much correction?

Has anyone else used 6 degree arms with a 3 inch lift?

What effect would running the 3 degree arms give? (On and off road)

What effect would running the 6 degree arms give? (On and off road)

Thanks for any advice given.

Matt.

Guest diesel_jim

I'd go for the 3 degree ones...

reason? well, some people get away with no castor correction on a lift (or the change in steering quality is negligable), so 3 degrees should see you well enough.

if you have too much castor correction (and you may well get it with the 3 degrees) is that you'll get propshaft vibration, as the UJ on the diff end will be operating at a different angle to what it is designed to.

you may need to get a double CV front propshaft.

Guest diesel_jim

Added: I've got a pair of scrapiron orange (although look identical to QT,grey in colour, so i suspect ripped off and re-packaged!) 3 degree arms here in Swindon if you want to try them, but they're the narrower type, so you'd have to make up a spacer, or press in the thicker bushes, or add some washers (short term! :rolleyes: )

Hi Jim and Tony,

Thanks for the comments, I actually had some 3 degree arms perviously before I changed my axles and the setup seemed to work well (but thanks for the offer to try a set jim) The main reason I wanted to know about the effect of using the 6 degree arms is because I know a mate that has some nice ones kicking around that I can buy fairly cheap, but saving £50 or so isn't worth having the worng suspension set up IMHO.

Thanks again guys!

Matt

Hi Jim and Tony,

Thanks for the comments, I actually had some 3 degree arms perviously before I changed my axles and the setup seemed to work well (but thanks for the offer to try a set jim) The main reason I wanted to know about the effect of using the 6 degree arms is because I know a mate that has some nice ones kicking around that I can buy fairly cheap, but saving £50 or so isn't worth having the worng suspension set up IMHO.

Thanks again guys!

Matt

A mate of mine has a Classic with about 3" lift. He uses it as a daily driver and it was rather dangerous at higher speeds due to incorrect castor. Instead of buying corrected radius arms, we decided to have the swivelball holes redrilled. A quick calculating showed 5° to be ideal. It now runs perfectly.

Removing the swivelballs isn't too much work and the redrilling only cost 45€ (about 30£), so far cheaper then a set of radius arms.