Turbo hose coming off intercooler pipe...

Hi All,

I am new to this forum, and I see there are a lot of knowledgeable people here! I was hoping for some help here. For my issue, I tried looking at the FAQs, the technical archive, and manually searching. I have not been able to find my issue. Here goes:

I have a Defender 110 CSW with a 300Tdi. For quite some time now on the motorway (60/65mph) - whenever I come to a hill or slight incline I would have to down shift into 4th gear and step on the pedal HARD. I slow down considerably, and I would be shooting out black smoke from the tail pipe. Also during this time, I could hear a hissing/wooshing sound from under the hood (turbo). After putting up with this for a few months, I noticed under the hood that the union where the 90deg hose from the turbo to the pipe (which goes to the bottom of the factory intercooler) had a small 'leak'. It was misting oil which could be seen on the hood and the surrounding area. See the attached picture. You can see I made a clean spot.

So I did my research and black smoke on a Tdi seems to mean that it's getting too much fuel, the the amount of air. Thinking there was an air leak going on, I then took off the clamp and jiggled the pipe closer to the hose so the hose could cover the pipe more. I made sure that the bottom straigh hose to the intercooler didn't come off. I then tightened the clamp on the hose to pipe. I took the 110 for a test drive. WOW!! What a change! No more down shifting! No more hissing/wooshing sound from under the hood. I could actually feel the turbo kick in, and the 110 would power up the inclines without downshifting. It was amazing!

Now the problem: just yesterday, I tried to go on the motorway and 3 (yes, three!) times, the hose would pop off the pipe at the same union where I tightened it. I tightened that clamp down really hard (not to crush or tear the hose of course, but to make sure it wouldn't come off. Each time it cam off I'd put it back on and tighten it down, but it would com off again!

What's going on here? Is the turbo creating too much air for the intake to consume? Do I need to replace the factory hoses with some AlliSport/Twisted Performance/Allard silicone hoses? Your expertise is greatly appreciated here!

Sorry to be the new guy with the huge post!

Thanks,

BillyBob!

post-6401-1198969434_thumb.jpg

Looks to me as though that elbow hose is to short, IIRC it should cover the whole of the larger diameter on the pipe & the hose clamp should be tightened around the smaller diameter to prevent the hose from removing itself, reckon a new hose would cure it.

& Welcome to LR4x4.com, please read the pinned info at the top of this forums thread list. :D

Looks to me as though that elbow hose is to short, IIRC it should cover the whole of the larger diameter on the pipe & the hose clamp should be tightened around the smaller diameter to prevent the hose from removing itself, reckon a new hose would cure it.

& Welcome to LR4x4.com, please read the pinned info at the top of this forums thread list. :D

That's what I was thinking too. And the one that's there is genuine LR!

I'm out of luck trying to source the proper part locally. I'll have to order online. Is driving with some turbo loss damaging to the engine?

Guest diesel_jim
That's what I was thinking too. And the one that's there is genuine LR!

I'm out of luck trying to source the proper part locally. I'll have to order online. Is driving with some turbo loss damaging to the engine?

try contacting East Coast Rover they carry lots of Tdi parts.

It won't do any serious damage, But you will get tired of having to drive in this state & having to keep fixing it, best move is to get a new hose & that should cure the fault.

the elbow hose that fits between the lower intercooler pipe & the Turbicharger is LR part number ESR2730. :D

as above, i would suggest that when you moved it to cover the hole that moves it to far up compared to the other end, therefore as Ralph says the hose can't be connected in the right place - over the champer so you need a longer hose!

Hose clip looks knackered to me the ridge shown in the pic just behind the screw head usually sits within the threaded barrel area. Try fitting 2 clamps with thread on opposing sides. Gives pipe better clamping area. I work on train engines & this is the method used on all pipes. Hose will burst before it blows off using this method. Dont skimp on cheap clips go for branded jubilee , Gorilla or Hi Grip. Very seldomn do the strip theyre holding thread.

Hope this helps a little Adrian