Back bumper

michael100

Can anyone help ? Needing to take back bumper off and I have located the two bolts that undo it from the chassis. Unfortunately, one of the bolts doesnt want to move and is beginning to round off. Its is not easy to work on as it is in a tight location and I was wondering if there is any obvious ideas to remove it that I am overlooking. Sprayed wd40 on it overnight and will try a little heat too and any other help would be appreciated. Regards

Michael

yep, try hammering a six-point socket onto it, the black sockets designed for use with air tools work pretty well... loads of WD40 can only help.... as could a little heat...

when you put it back together, use plenty of copper grease then paint the whole area with Waxoyl...

Hi Guys,

never thought about the six pointer socket, as for hammering in on to loosen the rust, its in too tight a corner to get a decent hit onto it. I agree with the grease app once its back on, I grease everything before it goes on again, makes life so easy next time round. Will end up burning the head off the bolt i think but will give the other side a good smacking with a hammer ( bit of wood in between bumper and hammer of course ) lol. Thanx for the more advice, Regards

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Nearly every bolt I had either rounded off or sheared off! For the rounded ones I used a grinder with a cutting disc to chop the head off and then drill it out or smack it through with a drift. The sheared off ones ill have to drill or weld another bolt onto or replace the part its attached to.

If you get REALLY stuck, and it's beyond hope, unscrew the light-cluster from the bumper (assuming it's a 300tdi) and look in the hole, and you'll find 2 bolts that are holding the captive-nut-plate-thing onto the bumper.....

IF you can get those 2 off safely, then you can remove the bumper and have a proper go at the seized/rounded one (or just cut the whole lot off and replace the mounting bracket complete).

Dunk