SIIa, 4 wheel steering?

XtremeMarineInc

As I now have two complete sets of axles laying around; a friend suggested that I fit 4 wheel steering to my IIa 88". The spare front axle should fit, just flipped to line up the differential. My concern would be draining and refilling the diff. Also the way the r and p would be kept lubricated. Any thoughts? Any ideas? Has it been done?

I reckon if you flip a front axle over and fit it to the rear it will try to drive the vehicle in the opposite direction to the original front axle.

You would have to turn the diff round 180 degrees, but I don't think you can do this because the pressing in the diff pan and the cutout in front face for the crownheel will be in the wrong place.

The oil drain would end up on the top.

I did it with a pair of S*Z*K* SJ axles - basically shrunken LR axles.

As rtbarton says flip the axle then flip the diff. To do this you need to cut off the diff pan and rotate it before rewelding it.

You could also weld a couple of plugs to the diff pan for filling and draining if they're not already there.

Works well and is a quick and cheap solution if you have spare axles.

HTH

If its a front axle, and you flip it, and you have already rotated it in the horizontal plane.... it should drive the right way, shouldn't it?

Looking towards one end of the axle, you have to rotate it, and the pinion ends up on the wrong side of the crownwheel. You can't flip it end-to-end because the diff is offset, so the pinion flange wouldn't line up with the transfer box output shaft.

The fragile front axle steering universal joints would not be up to the task oftransmitting rear axle torque when climbing steep hills.

Even the Yanks with their Dana 60 axles that have relatively huge universal joints have problems keeping them together.

Maxidrive Engineering in OZ who pioneered 4 wheel steering conversions to LandRovers had to use the very large FC101 Birfield joints to get any degree of reliability. you'd be far better off with cutting brakes for many applications requiring high manouverability.

Bill.