Shoehorning a V8

Matt B

Hello all

I've been offered a 90 for a good price and was wondering what is involved in swapping the n/a diesel for the EFi V8 from my classic.

I found out a bit about the engine mounts and can get around any mechanical issue, the thing that worries me is the ECU loom wiring. Should I just use the entire loom from the V8? I wasn't sure if the ECU needs input from other systems such as central locking, electric windows etc?

Thanks for any advice

Matt

4 wires? seriously?

The ECU has about 200 of the little buggers, so it works OK with the surplus disconnected? I was aware that the central locking had something to do with the ECU sleeping or not which caused battery drain, or did I imagine that?

Would you be able to advise me on which are the wires to keep?

Thanks

Matt

Hi Matt

I did the same conversion on a 110 i had, I put a 3.5 efi into it from a 1988 RRC.

If you trace the efi loom back and strip it out you will find a plug under the dash near the steering collum this is the plug with 4 wires you need on it.

There is a brown wire which is the main +12v feed for the efi harness and needs connecting to a permanent +12v live.

There are some white wires (connected to the same terminal) these need connecting to a +12v ignition switched feed that has 0v when the engine is off and +12v when ignition key is in running and cranking positions.

The white with red tracer is for the cranking signal and needs to be connected so it has +12v only when the key is in the cranking position.

The white with purple tracer this is the fuel pump feed and needs to be connected to the positive side of fuel pump.

This is how i wired mine and should be the same if you are using the same engine as i was.

Rich