Another non starter

chrispy

Hiya,

got back from a wonderful Christmas in Germany, went to start the old girl and... nothing (except for some dash lights and various pumps).

She's been standing for three weeks, and was running fine before, so I thought maybe the battery had drained. Got the recharger out and charged the battery (multimeter reads 12.4 volts across the terminals after charging), popped it back in and all the dash lights come on, the clock is working, as are the various pumps, but on turning the ignition to the start position there is nothing. It's not even trying to turn the engine over. Also checked all the wiring, which is in place and seems fine...

I'm completely mystified, please help me get her going again...

Thanks,

Chris

Hiya,

got back from a wonderful Christmas in Germany, went to start the old girl and... nothing (except for some dash lights and various pumps).

She's been standing for three weeks, and was running fine before, so I thought maybe the battery had drained. Got the recharger out and charged the battery (multimeter reads 12.4 volts across the terminals after charging), popped it back in and all the dash lights come on, the clock is working, as are the various pumps, but on turning the ignition to the start position there is nothing. It's not even trying to turn the engine over. Also checked all the wiring, which is in place and seems fine...

I'm completely mystified, please help me get her going again...

Thanks,

Chris

Is the starter solenoid clicking?

It sounds as if the solenoid is stuck and not throwing forward for both gear engagement and electrical supply.

A crude method is to wack the starter with a lump of something heavy (or a hammer if your posh!) whilst someone trys to crank the engine on and off.

If it is stuck, you might be lucky and it will come unstuck and never trouble you again, else it might the begining of the end for the solenoid/starter a strip down and clean might also bring her back for a good few months.

Is the starter solenoid clicking?

It sounds as if the solenoid is stuck and not throwing forward for both gear engagement and electrical supply.

Thanks for the super quick reply...

You might be right, there doesn't seem to be any clicking. Oh and I also checked the car was definitely in park... Can the solenoid be replaced? Is it a straightforward fix? Where can I find it?

Thanks,

Chris

Depending on what type of starter you've got, some solenoids can be replaced - RTC5049 is the solenoid, costs about £15, for that money they're hardly worth the hassle of stripping and rebuilding unless you're desperate.

I think it's Lucas/Bosch starters you can do, Magnetti Marelli ones you can't.

costs about £15, for that money they're hardly worth the hassle of stripping and rebuilding unless you're desperate.

Jeez, theres money in the south :rolleyes:

I think it's Lucas/Bosch starters you can do, Magnetti Marelli ones you can't.

Perhaps someone could shed further light here, Ive had one MM starter that couldnt be serviced, but two that could??

Chrispy,

If ive read your post correctly, your asking where the solenoid is on the car? If so, its on the right, attached to the starter motor, about halfway down the engine behind the exhaust, follow the battery lead to it.

If ive read your post correctly, your asking where the solenoid is on the car? If so, its on the right, attached to the starter motor, about halfway down the engine behind the exhaust, follow the battery lead to it.

So in other words, not something easy to get to, that I can just unbolt and swap for a new one :(

Thanks for all your help guys, will keep trying...

Chris

It's not difficult to do, just fiddly - you need to remove the starter motor complete before changing the solenoid.

Unfortunately the car is parked on the road and I don't have access to axle stands or ramps, and it strikes me as something I can't easily do from above...

Cheers,

Chris

Depends how robustly you're built, park with the nearside wheel up on the kerb and lay underneath, should be doable. Either that or collar a small child ;)

Just remember to disconnect the battery first!

He, he, think it'll have to be the small child route, getting it up on the kerb might prove difficult. I have a feeling pushing it by myself will not do the trick, because I seem to have lost my superhero powers somewhere between 2007 and 2008 :P

Maybe a good shock from the battery will restore them...

Cheers,

Chris

As mentioned, a sharp tap on the solenoid (I have used the end of a breaker bar to reach down) can free it off and sometimes that's all it takes. Just be careful not to stick anything metal across the contacts on the back of the solenoid.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Bowie but you're going to cause someone to junk a usable battery.

A lead acid cell has a normal voltage of 2.1volts. For 6 cells that makes 12.6 volts.

After you have charged your next battery just flash a headlight bulb across the terminals to settle the charge and you will find 12.6 volts, or you need to re-calibrate your voltmeter.

jw