Alternators

ex_mod_90

Hi,

I have a normal I think 65A Alternator, however this is a bit tired and I am looking for a replacement. My question is, will the 100A 300tdi fit my 200tdi, I know the pulleys are different, but are the connections at the back of the alternator the same, mine has a plug, but I think the 300tdi has a bolt connection? If the 300tdi has a bolt connection how easy is it to convert the connections, and do I need to uprate the wiring back to the battery.

Any other suggestions on alternators would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Rich.

I doubt yours is 65A if it's got a plug, my 65A has studs. anything's possible though.

You'll need to upgrade the wiring from the alternator to the starter motor. crimping new terminals on is not difficult, especially as it'll be a new bit of wire from the alternator to the starter.

Any alternator which physically fits the mounting holes will do, you can change the 'handed-ness' of an alternator by unbolting the casing and rotating it, possibly drilling out the threaded hole to replace with a bolt, too. I believe 100A is about the limit of a single-vee though.

i think 100A might be pushing it for the std 200 belts as LML says ^^^^^

Well, not so, mine works brilliantly, 100amp Marelli from a 300Tdi air con fitted Disco, been on for over 8 year with no problems or wrecked belts.

see photo below, only I've got at this time.

post-20-1199736668_thumb.jpg

Well, not so, mine works brilliantly, 100amp Marelli from a 300Tdi air con fitted Disco, been on for over 8 year with no problems or wrecked belts.

Thanks for the encouraging reply, I guess the mounts are the same then? and I just need to exchange the pulley.

I also guess that the 300tdi 100A version has bolts, are these a direct 1:1 replacement, i.e. is it obvious which wire goes where? Any pics would be appreciated, also what mm2 cable did you use for the upgrade to the battery connections?

Do you use a single battery or a pair in parallel?

Thanks for your time.

Rich.

My garage fitted it, But I swapped the pulley over, Batteries are fed by a split charge,

the bottom bolts are same as previous alternator the adjusting link is up the top, you can see it in my picture above.

wiring connections below, the yellow wire [lowest] in picture is the W terminal feed for my rev counter.

IMG_1215.jpg