Disco transfer box

Cal

Hi guys,

Would a 300Tdi 90 with uprated intercooler and fuel pump tweak mange a disco transfer box on 265/75R16 tyres OK or would it still be a bit of a struggle up hills/towing? Am thinking along the lines of making a 90 a better everyday motor - bit of soundproofing, bit more oomph, higher cruising speed and got the old 300Tdi vs TD5 debate going on in my head, hopefully for a purchase later this year...

Thanks B)

may find you'd have to use all the gears alot more but i would think it would cope.

my farther in law runs 235/85/16 with a standered 300TDI with a disco gearbox and transfer box and he tows his caravan all over the place for and trials it too.

This one comes up all the time on this and other forums so if you do a search you will find lots of comments.

I have been running this set-up on my own 300TDi 90 since it was brand-new and it is excelent. I also run 265/75x16's and I have never had a problem with it being over-geared whether it be motorways, commuting, towing, hills, headwinds etc.

My engine is completely standard and pulls very well so there is no need to start tweaking things unless you really want the extra power. I happily cruise at a genuine 72MPH on the M-way (ind 75MPH on the speedo) and don't find it too bad with wind noise being worse than engine noise (soft-top with no carpets, sound deadening etc). I have monitered the MPG from day one and overall my fuel consumption is between 28-33MPG which seems pretty good to me.

I always say that if you are unsure then you should try a vehicle before you do the conversion, I have always made my vehicle available if anyone was seriously interested.

Thanks guys! B)

That makes my choice harder then...

In theory I will have up to £10k to spend, so that means chosing between a really mint 300Tdi CSW + some change or a County hard top TD5 (from a quick look at some dealer prices).

Hmmmmm :rolleyes:

I've got the 265/75 tyres and uprated intercooler etc on my 110 and am now finding her a little undergeared at 70mph.

My decision is to go with the Disco ratios in a few months. Your 90 (less weight than a 110) should have no problems at all pulling the higher gearing.

If it were me, I'd be buying the mint 300Tdi.

Cheers BigSi. WOuld prob be best for all on the forum if I don't start another Tdi vs TD5 thred... :D

I had a 300Tdi with disco transfers (1:222 ratio I think) and a Jeremy Fearn intercooler running on 235/85 tyres and that handled it no problem at all.

I went through the whole GKN v Disco Transfers for months and was more than happy with my decision....if that helps

I'd go with a Tdci and six speed box if it were me.............

There's more chance of me being the next president of America... :P

Cheers for the opinions guys. Has got me leaning toward the trusty old 300Tdi again...

... for now!