injection pump solenoid problem??

morphylad

Hi, I just fitted a new lift pump on my 300tdi, come to start it and it would'nt. The solenoid on the injection pump was'nt clicking so give it a tap with hammer and it started clicking when i put a live wire onto it, but it still would not start. I then kept the live wire on it and it fired up straight away. I have to disconnect this wire to switch the engine off. All fuses are ok, I see the solenoid is connected to the glow plug controller (I think), all wires are ok, so is it the glow plug controller or something else?

Geoff

what age? 2 button remote or single button?

if it's a 2 button remote then search the forum for spider as that will fix it.

As a temporary fix wire that live feed to an accessory feed like the radio which will only come on with the key and will go off when you turn off the ignition

what age? 2 button remote or single button?

if it's a 2 button remote then search the forum for spider as that will fix it.

As a temporary fix wire that live feed to an accessory feed like the radio which will only come on with the key and will go off when you turn off the ignition

Thanks, it's a 95 with 2 button remote. As a temporary fix I ran the wire inside and put a switch on it. I read Bogmonsters spider fix, so it looks like I'm in for a good time eh!

Don't be scared off by the spider job - I attempted to do mine - only to find out the auto edc cars don't actually have a spider unit! It doesn't take long at all to fetch the spider out, and land rover sell a nice bypass plug for £5.

A lot of places say it takes a couple of hours to do - with the instructions I found it only took a matter of minutes, you need a short screwdriver or a flexible one to get the two screws at the top - I ended up using a pair of molegrips holding a screwdriver bit to get those ones as I couldn't find anything better - also there was a plastic strip under the stereo on mine which needed prizing out before I could get to two more screws - this wasn't mentioned in the instructions. If you are quick and armed with the instructions and a selection of suitable screwdrivers then I reckon it could be removed and the dash replaced within 30 mins