ZF Auto box, very stiff gear lever

Landy 90 Hybrid

Before you go out spending loads of cash, try dismantling the trim so you can access the base of the gearstick. You may be able to spray WD40 or similar onto the selector shaft and work the lever through its full range. Obviously this will take a few goes to get a significant amount of lubrication along the length but it might help.

Also, get under the truck and check the routing of the cable. It should run along the passenger side of the gearbox (RHD models) to the actuator tht goes throught eh gearbox casing. If there are kinks or similar that won't help.

In my experiance, it really is worth taking an hour out and fully stripping the selector house (gear stick box).

I suffer from a stiff stick regularly :moglite: , its a down side to megasquirt and wading!

The box strips down fairly easily, just a few screws and circlips to contend with, take the slider shaft out and emery it up, douse everything with copper slip or chain grease etc.

Whatever you do, dont start forcing it, the little bobble on the side of the stick (the bit which moves the cable) can snap (its only brazed on, but does weld back on).

Never had trouble with the cable but as mentioned in the above posts, seen a few who have.

Cheers for that guys. Its on a Range rover/90 hybrid that I have just bought from a guy in my local club. The gear lever is in the middle, where the centre seat should be, and I have no trim to remove so can see the whole lot (top down). I havent had a look underneath yet but will do and check the route of the cable.

I phoned ascrofts yesterday, and they also said about the cable possibly rusting and swelling inside the outer cable, so dismantle, emery paper, silicone grease and give it a try.

Kind regards

Jonathan